Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 Ford Edge and I am getting compass data error and sat…

Customer Question
Second opinion] 2010 Ford...

Second opinion] 2010 Ford Edge and I am getting compass data error and sat fault error. Can you guide me as to where the issue may reside?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

No scan tool. 114,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. not tried anything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Ford Mechanic: Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question and get right with you. If you have your VIN please send it to me.

Does your Edge have navigation?

Where are you seeing the compass data error message?

By sat error, are you referring to GPS or satellite radio?

No nav. Dash information area between gauges. Sat fault message is in radio display when selecting sat 1, 2, or 3.

It seems you have two separate issues here. The missing compass data means that the compass module has failed. The compass module is integrated into the rear view mirror in the windshield. The compass module shares a power circuit with the windows, if the windows are working then it will not be a blown fuse. To take care of this issue the mirror will need to be replaced.

The satellite radio error means that your audio control module (radio) has lost communication with the satellite radio module. The satellite digital audio receiver system (SDARS) module is powered by fuse 13 (5 amp) in the fuse box in the interior of the Edge. If this fuse is not blown your SDARS module has failed and will require replacement.

If you have any further questions, or I can assist you in any way, do not hesitate to ask. If not please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

here is the VIN# ***** if this helps. Is the GPS and Satellite Antenna the same antenna? Is it on the rear spoiler?

The satellite radio antenna is on the rear spoiler, yes. If your Edge had navigation it would be a combination GPS/Satellite antenna. It won't be an antenna issue however. If you had an antenna issue you would just lose signal. The error coming up means there is no module communication occuring.

Also, the compass is not related to GPS in the Edge's. It is it's own stand alone system.