Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have 2003 ford escape v6. Driving home 2 nites ago. warning…

Have 2003 ford escape...

Have 2003 ford escape v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ,driving home 2 nites ago . warning lights for air bag and seat belt started to flash,car started to miss. shut car off and just clicked to restart replaced battery fired up fine,checked alt output no voltage, also battery light in dash dose not come on when key is on or when running

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Replaced alt. what a job

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have ck all fuses. relaced alt.what a job

3/8/2018
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....so to establish a baseline...you have replaced the alternator, and now you have only battery voltage while the engine is running?
no battery lite at all
any answer

There is a 150 amp fuse located in the rear of the engine...have you checked that fuse?

cked all fuses inside vechile and out
Ok.... I need you to check and see if you have power down to the alternator on the large wire you should have 12 volts at the alternator at all times so you don't have to worry about having the key on or not so take a test light or a voltmeter and check and see if you have 12 volts down at the alternator on the large wire
have 12 volts all the time
Ok....I want you to disconnect the battery.....then I want you to remove the connectors from the PCM.... Sometimes corrosion will build up inside the PCM connector's.... On your vehicle the PCM controls the charging system so I want you to disconnect the connectors on the PCM and carefully inspect them to see if there is any corrosion in there corrosion will appear as either a white or a greenish powder
found broken wire in plug at alt.
thanks
Ok...glad to hear. Thank You for using JA.
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician