Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have r-134a refrigerant to install on my 05 f350 6.0 diesel…

Customer Question
Have r-134a refrigerant to...

Have r-134a refrigerant to install on my 05 f350 6.0 diesel dually...i'd like to do it right the first time

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

2005, 143k miles, several years

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing...i just want to re charge the ac

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, excessive chatter when engine is running, even when warmed up

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, is the system completely empty or are you filling it with some refrigerant in it?

Do you have ac manifold gages that check high and low pressure readings or just the low pressure gage that came with your can of refrigerant?

Do you know where the low pressure service port is to hook the can hose up to?

must be low, because the a/c blew hot, then next time i drove, it blew cold again.
just the can readings
no, where is the low pressure service port
if you send correct instructions, i'll be able to do it

HI,

Ok, give me a couple of minutes to upload where the port is and then type of how to fill system. Please be patient as I have Parkinsons so typing is slow for me

no hurry..sorry about your parkinsons..i'm an old guy with maladies as well..and on a budget..yuk!

HI,

The low side port is on the accumulator near the passenger side firewall and shock tower in engine compartment - see photo attached(port circled in red). The accumulator is a round cylinder with ac lines going to it so fairly easy to id.

To fill, crank engine, turn ac on high. Attach the hose to the service port. It will click in place. Turn can upside down so it doesnt freeze up quickly(if it does freeze while filling, shake it for a few seconds). Open the valve on the can and fill until the gage is reading 26-36psi. Close valve and unhook hose from port.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, while i appreciate your instructions, I needed very detailed instructions which (after finding some strong reading glasses) I was able to read and followed the directions on the R-134a can. As it turns out, the reusable gauge that came with the can showed a reading right in the middle of the blue (35 psi) so didn't put any more refrigerant in. I guess if the ac blows hot again, i'll recheck, install R134a if needed, or then find out what's causing hot air.
Meanwhile, I didn't get an answer on the excessive chatter (way more than most diesels).

HI,

Ok, that means that the compressor is full and doesnt need any more. This unfortunately means that the chatter is the compressor clutch itself and that is what the ac is going on and off, the clutch is failing and kicking in and out. The chatter is due to the clutch plates coming apart.

The ac compressor clutch will need to be replaced at this point.

Eric, I must not have clarified in my earliest correspondence. ENGINE CHATTER (turning on the ac makes no difference in the EXCESSIVE engine chatter)

HI,

Ok, is the chatter constant, or does it increase when lightly revving the engine?

do you hear it when driving down the road?

Does it sound like it is coming from underneath the valve covers or from front of engine?

constant and louder when revving for many thousands of miles.
yes, hear it driving down the road.
can't tell where it's coming from...noise somewhere between knock and chatter..this f350 diesel has always been a little noisy, but has become increasingly loud for the past 5-10 k miles.

HI,

The 6L diesel is fairly notorious for valve train noise and needing valve jobs as well as needing fuel injectors replaced fairly often. I dont seem many timing chain issues, but possible.

The best way to determine is use either mechanic's stethoscope or a length of vacuum hose to listen at valve cover and listen at timing cover to see where noise is amplified at to verify cause

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.