Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

I have had my wheel cylinders and master cylinder replaced

i have had my wheel cylinders and master cylinder replaced and my brakes are still softer than they were initially
JA: Have you tried "bleeding the brakes" to get any air out of the line?
Customer: yep
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008..it's a mercury mariner = ford escape it has some ford parts
JA: What year is your Mariner?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Mariner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it's at the second shop the first shop changed the wheel cylinders and bled the brakes the second shop has now changed the master cylinder and bled the brakes again
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i think that's all

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Can you tell me the procedure your using for the brake bleed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's at a shop, they did the brake bleed

so if a shop is working on it how can I help?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put my truck in Shop #1 on Monday and they called and said my wheel cylinders were leaking, I needed to have them replaced and that would fix the issue. So they replaced the rear wheel cylinders and bled the brakes. When that did NOT fix the issue, they called and said that I needed to have the master cylinder replaced too..but their estimate was too high, so I had it towed to Shop #2. Shop #2 replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes but just called and said that while the brake pedal isn't as soft as it was before replacing the master cylinder, it's still softer than it was previously (besides me and my brother, he's the only shop that has worked on my truck). I was trying to find a closer mechanic, but they only changed the R wheel cylinders. Anyhow, shop #2 called and said that they were looking up service bulletins and saw that my make, year and model had some ABS issues. But he has no way of testing that. I don't want to drive a vehicle that is unsafe, and I don't want to keep sinking money changing parts that may or may not fix the issue. I was wondering if you have heard of this issue before or have any ideas on what to check/test next.

It sounds like the shop dosent know what they are doing and shouldn't have to pay for a guessed repair, when you take a vehicle to a shop they are giving you a diagnosis and not a guess, so no fix no pay. So is the abs light on? or do you just have a soft pedal? And there are no service bulletins that are related to whats going on with your vehicle right now. If he was telling you the truth on that he could give you the bulletin

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have an ABS light on. And shop #1 said they ran an ABS/Brake system test and it passed everything (no holes in the line, no ABS lights and ABS system appears fully functional). So I'm just left with a semi soft pedal. He said he'd send the bulletins. I am just not convinced it's an ABS issue (having passed all the tests at Shop #1). So wasn't sure where to point him to next...

just sounds like they are missing something simple, like a slider or brake adjustment in the rear , hard to say without looking at it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what about a brake booster? i just googled the same issue...sound like anything there?

a boost if out would cause a hard pedal, it sounds like its working just fine, and there is something after the master causing it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he said he's going to raise the rear brakes so that should help. should i mention the slider as well? thank you for help with this...if I sign off, can I sign back on if i have more to add?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
or a new question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry..or do I have to pay $34

a booster if out would cause a hard pedal, it sounds like its working just fine, and there is something after the master causing it.

even after the rating you can come back on later and add more, even if its days later and its no extra money

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK should I mention for him to check the slider as well?

I would they could have old or bad grease on them causing a slight lock up, I have a feeling the rear brakes arnt adjusted correctly or the shoes are installed wrong

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
you think that could have happened at shop #1 when they replaced the wheel cylinders? Just curious, because shop #2 said that they noticed that someone recently bled the brakes and got fluid all over the cylinders and didn't clean up so it looked like a leak, but wasn't...so I am wondering if they did a shoddy job all around...

its possible but a good tech would have fixed it by now so im skeptical about both shops,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hmmm ok..well thank you so much! I will call the shop now and suggest that he take a look at the slider. Thank you again!

hope everything works out!

Thanks for the great rating! Hope you have a wonderful day and feel free to add me to your favorites list for assistance in the future.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK so now the shop has called me twice...they found that they needed to use some software to do the ABS brake bleed. He said it's better, just not 100% and he doesn't feel comfortable giving it back. He was trying to explain something about a door being open that shouldn't be that could be a sign of a bad ABS module assembly ($1500 for the part). I previously had my truck run for brake tests and the ABS passed. What do you think about this? Also, no ABS brake light is on now or before..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, to the best of my knowledge I am not leaking any fluid. I checked my brake fluid before I took her to the first shop. However, he's saying there could be a bleed internally (not sure where)...

have you test drove it yet?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No someone from another shop test drove it and told him not to give it back to me that way.

you should go test drive it and see what you think

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Likely i will tomorrow...but what are your thoughts? Have you heard of that? How would she pass an ABS test but still need an ABS module assembly replaced. It’s just not a cheap part and to add to that there’s still labor on top of that.

something sounds very fishy and I think they are trying to sell you something you dont need, best way is to check it out yourself and see how it drives