Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Working on a 2013 Edge. The vista roof track was broken but…

Customer Question
Working on a 2013...

Working on a 2013 Edge. The vista roof track was broken but guides moved (they were just broken from the glass assembly). I've replaced the track assembly and have everything hooked back up but I'm getting no response from the either the roof or shade switches. I have power at the motors

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

60k, auto

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Ford?

Edge

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked every fuse and double check connections. I've swapped the motors and check power at the motors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is this the sunroof you replaced the track assembly on?

Correct. Everything work before I replaced the track but now I'm not getting response from the switch. I can power the motor and cycle the roof and sunshade but nothing from the switch. I Do have power at the motor and harness plug.

Anytime repairs are made to the Sunroof system it will need to initialize. I would start with doing this and see if it will resolve this issue for you. See the steps to do this in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03fqebf4lirhyvv/Int%20Mar%208.pdf?dl=0

I've tried the initalzation but there's no response to even get it going. I can give you a call tomorrow if your available?

I'm here all day tomorrow, One thing else you should do is scan the BCM and see if there are any fault codes set also check the F 8 fuse (20 AMP) located in the under hood panel to be sure it's not blown. This is the power supply fuse to the Roof motor on the violet/red wire at the motor.

Hey Ron, are you available for a call? Sorry fornthe delay. I've been busy on other projects.

Did you try the initalzation steps I sent you?

Your link didn't work. Is it the process of reprogramming the movement? I have zero repose by pressing the switch. I do have power at the violet/red wire.

Try the link again, it times out over time so be sure t print it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9ywyth6xkio2bf/INT%20Mar%2013.pdf?dl=0

Got it. So the process calls for holding the switch and closing the panel all the way. My glass doesn't move.

Can you hear the motor running since you replaced the track assembly?

No. I've pulled the motors from the track and get no movement from the motors

Okay, are you able to do some testing If I send you the steps to do so?

Okay for a nonoperational window start your testing at Pinpoint test E1. See the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cy63bsi2fuj0c4b/Sun%20roof%20testing%20Mar%2013.pdf?dl=0

I have also enclosed the circuit wiring diagram for reference in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k750gzkn9phzy4/Sun%20roof%20wiring%20Mar%2013.pdf?dl=0

I have continuity from the rear harness at the motor back up to the switch, both fuses have been checked. No luck. Anything I'm missing or not checking? I don't see anything else in the docs you sent.

What about power in and out of the switch to the motor.

There are only 4 wires going into the switch panel. They all feed from the motor assembly. Reading the docs and looking at the diagram isn't the switch just triggering a ground?

Yes, the yellow/orange wire should trigger close and the violet/brown should trigger open. See the connector view for the signal wire. Pins #1 and #13 are power in at the panel motor and pin #8 is ground. Have you verified you have power and ground at the motor?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38ztu4fheihj3ap/Connector%20view%20Mar%2014.pdf?dl=0