Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 1999 Taurus se, some mornings it will not start.

Have a 1999 Taurus...

Have a 1999 Taurus se, some mornings it will not start. Engine turns over but won't start, doesn't happen everyday

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

No trouble code, don't know if it has spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

My dad and I usually do all the work, haven't done anything. when it starts it will be fine for the test of the day.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car has sat for a long period of time, my son now drives it to school.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Does this happen after the car has been sitting a long period of time?
Is it starting at the moment?

no, just overnight, It didn't start this morning.

Ok, since it's not starting right now, let's try unplugging the mass air flow sensor and then crank it and see if it will start. The mass air flow is the sensor right off the air filter box. Just unplug it and see if the car will crank and start on its own.

Let me know.

sorry, I am not with the car. what is the scenario if it does or doesn't start?

If it doesn't start, then you might have an issue with the IAC (idle air control solenoid) This is bolted to the throttle body. Sometimes you can just clean them up with some carb cleaner, put it back on and if the problem is resolved leave it be. Finally, it is possible it's a fuel pump issue, however that is usually very consistent if it is the problem. If you unplug the maf sensor and the car starts, that points to it being the issue and replacing it or cleaning it is a good idea.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Thank you Mike, I will try this when I get off work.

Sounds good, please let me know if you need anything else.

I typically work until about 7 pm eastern time.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician