Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Has too much boost on acceleration and fuel mileage is down…

Customer Question
Has too much boost...

Has too much boost on acceleration and fuel mileage is down to

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes starts the same as usual that idles fine the only under about quarter throttle to boost is way up over half

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2008 6.4 F-350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Has new map sensor has new exhaust back pressure sensor has new hard line for the sensor drain the fuel fuel filter put new lift pump on it no water in the fuel and no slime

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
3/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the truck is overboosting I'd begin by checking the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues

also check that the wastegate on the turbocharger hasn't seized up

if you disconnect the actuator can you move the wastegate lever by hand, it should move easily

if its sticking then try dosing it heavily with penetrating oil and working the lever back and forth

however if its really stuck then you may need a new turbo or at least to strip and rebuild this one

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt