Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to know the preload inch pounds when tightening the…

I need to know...

I need to know the preload inch pounds when tightening the pinion gear and the shim size for the large pinion bearing for an 8.8 1999 F-150 truck rear end

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

I brought my F-150 to a dealer and they said I needed new pinion and ring gears and new outer bearings. I paid for it, but within 4 months the rear end started making bearing noise. I brought it back 2 times and they told me everything was fine, but I kept hearing the noise till one day the passenger side almost came off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I removed the rear cover, removed the spider gears and when I removed the axe on the passenger side I discovered there was almost a 1/4" wear where the bearing rode on the axle. This made me suspicious of their work and took down the whole rear end.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When taking down the whole rear end I discovered that they didn't take it down at all because there were different bearings on each outer bearings that they charged me for two. So, I don't think they did anything but rip me off. If I wasn't disabled to the point I couldn't bend over any, I would never have brought it to them

Can I buy the service manual
3/8/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/page/889979

Thank you

you're welcome, you can find everything you need there. either the actual service manuals or the service manuals on dvds.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

All I need is the shim size for under the large bearing that goes on 1st on the pinion gear and then the preload inch pounds as from two different videos I got two different dimensions, or preloads.
One had it 5 thousandths and one has it 30 thousandths for the shim under the large bearing and one had the preload inch pounds at 8 to 12 inch pounds and one has it 25 to 30 inch pounds

ok let me see what i can find

thank you

let me know if this works for you

When I took the pinion gear out and removed the bottom bearing, the one at end next to the gear, it had a 5 thousandths shim. But, I am not positive that the dealer changed anything, or just changed out my rear end with a used rear end. I say that as the whole pinion assembly after dropping the drive shaft it rattled in the housing telling me it wasn't properly tightened up, or no new bearing put in as I was charged. In any case I bought all new bearings and spider cluster gears and am redoing it myself. I got the eef.pdf and thankful for the preload info. Helps me a lot. I guess, I'll just take the chance on the 5/1000 shim on the bottom.

let me see if i can find out about the shim

procedure

drive pinion

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
Okay, thank you for the pdf's for what I was looking for. I've done mechanic work for years before my back went out, but never had to do a complete rear end job before. Done the axle's and bearings, but never the pinion and ring gears. With being took by the dealer's mechanics, I always go to a trusted mechanic, but I'm living in a new community and don't really know enough to trust anyone. Thanks for all the help. I can follow the service manuals. MikeA

you are very welcome and thank you. youll find a small local neighborhood mom and pop shop in time that you can trust

I doubt it

there are some of us left

I’m 67 and I really don’t want to go back to being a mechanic

I hear ya. I'm 57 and ready to close up shop, but I cant right now, maybe another 5 years.

Sorry to hear that but look to that day God bless