Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 2008 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4WD (plus I live on a…

Customer Question
I have an 2008...

I have an 2008 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4WD (plus I live on a dirt road). It started out that my Stability Traction Control light would blink 3 times then go off and then every now and then my ABS, tool showing for service RCA (I think that's what it said) Soon.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Both

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hopefully I can work on it my self to save a few bucks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

I would start by checking the brake fluid level and doing a visual inspection of the wiring harnesses for the wheel speed sensors. Assuming the brake fluid is full. If you find any damaged wires out at the wheels then it's likely that particular sensor is causing the problem. If not, then you will really want to have the system scanned to know where the issue is. There's the 4 wheel speed sensors, but also a yaw rate sensor, steering angle sensor and the ABS unit itself. So, you can save money, but to do it, you will want to know where to start, then do the repair yourself. It's always possible the brake fluid is low and causing the lights to kick on though so it's the best place to start.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

It was doing that for a couple of weeks. Until today when I went to pull out of my driveway and it acts like one of the wheels are trying to lock up and with the ABS light, Stability Control Light, 4x4 engaged light all coming on my cluster panel. Help where should I start looking?

I still think the place to start is going to be with your ABS system. The traction control works with the abs, and if either is out the 4wd light is going to blink or kick on and off.

If you restart the truck and the lights are out, and then once you start driving the light comes on, that usually points to one of the wheel speed sensors. If the lights don't go out, then that is more then likely pointing to a problem with the steering angle sensor or yaw rate sensor.

The reason these store codes is because there are so many possibilities that might cause this. The tone rings for the wheel speed sensors could even be failing. It sounds like the truck thinks it's in a slide to me. This would or could cause it to feel like the brakes are being applied, or you might be in 4wd, especially with the traction control.