Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

08 escape was starting fine until changing out the transfer…

Customer Question
08 escape was starting...

08 escape was starting fine until changing out the transfer case and now no start at all....still cranks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Radio works and car cranks fine....the car has sat several weeks needing the transfer case. Did have to charge the battery beforehand thought. Never had this issue and the vehicle has has several batteries.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

It ran and drove fine with the transfer case grind. Pulled it into my garage weeks back and just replaced the transfer case myself. I changed no electronics....just the transfer case. Clueless here....again cranks fine, radio works, I dunno. I can smell fuel when cranking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all I have.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/8/2018
Ford Mechanic: Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question and get right with you. If you have your VIN please send it to me.

Do you have the 3.0L V6 engine?

it's the 4 cylinder engine....vin 1FMCU93Z18KA43919. Never had this issue at all. Need help.

Thank you for the VIN.

Do you have any test equipment. A multimeter, or a scan tool that can view live data?

I see nothing....could this be some kind of anti theft thing? No theft light is on.

If the engine is cranking then the issue isn't antitheft.

If you have a scantool that can view live data. Access the data pids and view RPM while turning the engine over. Does it show any RPMS?

My unit does not show rpm's....I would assume 5-600 rpm's. Never had this issue before and I have to have the car operational.

I'm going to do my best to help you get the vehicle operational again. You removed the right front axle shaft. That is near the crank sensor. Can you check and see if the crank sensor has been disconnected?

I can....roughly where is the crank sensor located? I have a friend helping and he took the right side lose.
Talked to my bud....and checking the sensor...please hang with me a while.

No problem I'll be here.

Just checked the right front axle with the tire off and just see the abs sensor. Nothing out front was changed or messed with.

The crank sensor would be next to the crank pulley on the engine.

Try the fuel cut off switch in the video first.

Done the fuel cutoff first. Nothing was messed with on the front of the engine at all. I am mechanically inclined and I am sure this is something simple.

Do you have a test light?

There is no way I need a test light. Timing is realistically not gonna jump while the vehicle is sitting. My crank sensor does not look like that it's 2 wires plugging in...the other was fine and the nearer had a red sheath and was unplugged. I plugged it in and no difference. Cranking fine still.

I apologize. I don't think you're understanding what I mean by a test light.

I'm going to open this up to other experts to see if someone can assist you better than I.

Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Does the check engine light come on in the run position and go out when cranking engine over?

Does the tachometer register rpm while cranking or stay on zero?