Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I replaced my wiper switch 1990 f250 deisel 7.3 it was only…

Customer Question
I replaced my wiper...

I replaced my wiper switch 1990 f250 deisel 7.3 it was only wirking on and off on high, so replaced it now found thst it only goes on high but I have to push the ignition switch forwatd a bit to make it work at all? Also replaced my h/l switch and if i pull it all the way out it turns off my tail lights h/ l stay on though???

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Bulbs all work

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

What I told you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 month ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

sound like the ignition switch or connection to it is shorting out, take the trim covers under steering and visualy inspect ,have you done that

1990 it is 28 years old ,look at wire insulation breaking

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

1990 Ford Truck F 250 2WD Pickup

V8-7.3L DSL

Recall 96V071000: Ignition Switch Short Circuit

• Vehicle
  • Powertrain Management
  • Ignition System
  • Technical Service Bulletins
  • Recall 96V071000: Ignition Switch Short Circuit

THE IGNITION SWITCH COULD EXPERIENCE AN INTERNAL SHORT CIRCUIT.

THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE OVERHEATING, SMOKE, AND POSSIBLY FIRE IN THE STEERING COLUMN AREA OF THE VEHICLE.

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH.

There is a recall on the switch

SYSTEM: ELECTRICAL; IGNITION SWITCH.

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER AND MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLES AND LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS.

NOTE: OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME, SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-***-***-****. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-***-***-****.

click on link to view pdf file

also if the ip is dimming there was recall on it

you can buy that igntion switch and replace and go from there that is the first step should be taken here

read below how you RR switch

1990 Ford Truck F 250 2WD Pickup

V8-7.3L DSL

Procedures

• Vehicle
  • Starting and Charging
  • Sensors and Switches - Starting and Charging
  • Ignition Switch
  • Service and Repair
  • Procedures

Procedures

Removal
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2. Remove steering column shroud and lower the steering column. Refer to Steering Column: Service and Repair: Removal/Installation.
3. Disconnect the switch wiring at the multiple plug.
4. Remove the two nuts that retain the switch to the steering column.
5. LIFT the switch VERTICALLY UPWARD to disengage the actuator rod from the switch and remove switch.

Installation
1. When installing the ignition switch, both the locking mechanism at the top of the column and the switch itself must be in LOCK position for correct adjustment.
To hold the mechanical parts of the column in LOCK position, move the shift lever into PARK (with automatic transmissions) or REVERSE (with manual transmissions), turn the key to LOCK position, and remove the key. New replacement switches, when received, are already pinned in LOCK position by a metal shipping pin inserted in a locking hole on the side of the switch.
2. Engage the actuator rod in the switch. Must be inserted in the slot of the sliding, black carrier.
3. Position the switch on the column and install the retaining nuts, but do not tighten them.
4. Move the switch UP and DOWN along the column to locate the mid-position of rod lash. Tighten the two ignition switch retaining nuts (TOP NUT FIRST to minimize rod binding) to 4.51-7.34 N.m(40-65 in-lb).
5. Remove the lockpin. Connect the battery cable, and check for proper start in PARK or NEUTRAL.
Also, ensure the start circuit cannot be actuated in the DRIVE and REVERSE position and that the engine will shut off in either DRIVE, REVERSE or NEUTRAL. If the engine will not shut off in the above positions then the switch is NOT adjusted properly.
The switch will have to be re-adjusted. Refer to Ignition Switch: Adjustments.
6. Raise the steering column into position at instrument panel. Refer to Steering Column: Service and Repair: Removal/Installation.
7. Confirm that accessories are deactivated with ignition switch in OFF position, and that accessories are operable with switch in RUN position.

Try that and let me know

check all fuse off course and if the switch does not fix it , run this test below for any draining to narrow down the circuit

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Read below How to get back in touch with me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am doing the most obvious things, I have 30 years of auto body exp. So I can turn wrenches and take apart most anything so its not difficult but wanted to know if you had any suggestions, also the h/l switch when I pull it all the way out the taillights go out I have to push it back in 1/8 in then the tail lights come on, is it just a ford bs problem???

my good friend is body man , he retired last year , had a body shop next to my repair shop ,you guys do it all

i want say a ford problem

sound we have a loose connection , pull it pout and inspected

Change that switch first

and go under that dash and see what loose wires we have and reconnect everything back in place ,

i have these trucks come in to my shop and people brought me a whole wiring harnesses to rr , you can buy from ebay online and replace harness completely instead repairing take more time

not that expensive

You are very welcome :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No recall on my trucks switch just called ford or any other recalls
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat