Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 F-350 diesel automatic 2 wheel drive, about 4 years ago…

Customer Question
2001 F-350 diesel automatic*****...

2001 F-350 diesel automatic***** about 4 years ago put a Jasper transmission in because it would only go in reverse and now its doing the same thing only have reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

Almost 200,000 and no it has a rebuilt one from Jasper put in about 4 years ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes 4 years ago I put the jasper in and its worked great but now that is doing the same thing i would like to find what might be causing the problem before i get a nre transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We pull a 40 ft horse trailer with the truck but maybe have about 20,000 on the jasper tranmission in 4 years

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ironmike, Ford Technician replied 1 month ago
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician

greetings,

Is the check engine light on? can you check for trouble codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no lights and have not checked for codes I know when it did this the last time there were none

You can look at the connectors to the PCM and the transmission. Check the pins , sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting will cause the symptom to stop and help isolate the cause. I have seen pin fit issues cause problems like this.

They also make replacement connectors if the transmission connector is bad. I see them for under 50$

I have tweaked the pins and used di electric grease to correct issues like this, sometimes this does not last .lets start here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i will look at that thanks

I would say chances that 2 transmissions failing for the same reason are slim.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thats what i was thinking also

this is where looking at live data with an advanced scanner really helps. let me know what you find

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went out to put truck on my lift and it drove forward. So now it must be something happens when it gets warm. All the plugs look fine.

temp will affect pin fits and grounds. so the truck moved before you checked the plugs?

Most likely it will be a connector or something in the PCM. The TCM is part of the PCM. Many advanced scanners can verify network operation and or module communication. You may need to see if the TCM is dropping out when cold.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just remembered that in the last couple weeks when it would warm up it would shift hard and jerk the truck mostly going into third gear but would not do it all the time

how does the fluid look?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great and at right level

If it is clean and full then the chance we lost the forward clutch is not there. Really need to see what we are losing r what will not respond to a command. you can still try to tweak each pin at the trans connector(makes the pin fit better) and add some di electric grease.

Ironmike
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician