Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My radio display works intermittently. Don't know if the…

My radio display works...

My radio display works intermittently. Don't know if the problem is with the radio or the display.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Yes it's ok. It's a 2010 Escape, btw

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked the fuse, jiggled some wires, whacked the dash and it went back on for a short time

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I just need a way to figure out where the problem is

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....does the radio sound stop working as well or is only the display going out?
Just the display the radio is fine
Ok, thank you for the additional information...the problem is internally in the radio. The radio in your vehicle, and most vehicles built since around 2000, no longer have internal bulbs that operate the display...it is done by circuit boards and LED's. The most likely problem is a loose solder connection which explains why it came back on when you whacked the dash. Replace the radio and the problem will be gone.
Please rate my answer to your question....I only get credit for assisting you when you rate my answer. If you are not satisfied with my answer or if you require any further assistance please continue to ask questions. Thank You for using JA.
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician