Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 Ranger Pickup Radio will turn on/off but the clock

1998 Ranger Pickup...

1998 Ranger Pickup Radio will turn on/off but the clock illuminates when the clock button is pushed

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

It is original as is most of the truck. Its indestructible and I am the only owner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger Pickup yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ma'am. In trouble shooting I have checked the 15 amp fuse box on the side of the instrument panel. Its fine. The radio I believe has power, as the clock works and the backpanel illuminates

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thans all I can think of. Everything is wired correctly ans is the antenna

3/7/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! Have you verified power and ground at the back of the radio? those radios at that age are pretty common for failure, I wouldnt be surprised it it is bad and needs replacement

As far as I can tell all power and ground wires and the antenna are properly hooked up and the fuse in the panel on the left side of the dash is good. The clock portion is working normally and the back panel lighting works when the lights are on.

then your radio is no good and need replacement, the good thing about this is you can upgrade to something very nice for not much more than another factory radio would cost, blue tooth, touch screen, nav, tv, dvd/cd and aux .

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you. I appreciate your help. I’m gonna pass this truck along to my 13 year old grandson when he learns to drive. If anything happens, he’ll be safe and the truck can be replaced. The total value on it is only $1600.

Your very welcome, let me know if you need help with replacement radios and installation

Thanks for the great rating! Hope you have a wonderful day and feel free to add me to your favorites list for assistance in the future.