Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 ford focus car is randomly stuttering and bogs out but…

Customer Question
2005 ford focus car is...
2005 ford focus car is randomly stuttering and bogs out but doesn't shut off if I let of the pedal. if I restart the car its back to perfect I changed the fuel pump and filter and cleaned the maf yesterday
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 1 month ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

H​ello my name is ***** ***** the check engine light coming on setting low fuel pressure codes? Do you think it could be clutch shudder ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no codes unfortunately that's why this is so hard to diagnose.

U​sually is there is a fuel concern the computer will set some trouble codes. Does it feel like random rumble strips at times or jerky feeling taking off from a stop sign?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this mainly happens while cruising. steady pedal postion. its like a heavy bump and a few seconds later another heavy bump and then a full bogging down to where the only thing I can do is let off throttle. I just turn off the engine and restart it and its gone for about 10 minutes sometimes less . which sounds like a fuel issue not giving enough fuel pressure at times. but I replaced the pump and filter yesterday

Dies it ever not start, I mean no crank?

Like the starter is inoperative.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nope start right up perfectly every time

From your description it sounds like a TCM that is not working correctly, when these TCM's fail, they will randomly lose power or buck, most of the time they will set a code, when you tested for trouble codes what type of scan tool did you use?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the torque lite pro android app with a wifi ob2 scanner
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a manual trans

Does it look at all modules or just OBD2 codes, I suspect the scan tool is not capable of reading all the modules, you may have codes stored in TCM. When we get these cars in, we replace clutches and TCM's and occasional front cover gaskets. I bet I have replaced 100 clutches compared to maybe 1 fuel pump. Can I have your VIN?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3FAFP31NX5R116370

O​k I don't see any messages or TSB's for loss of power or bucking. The only thing I could suggest it to take to a Ford dealer and have some diagnostics done, you may have a communication problem between modules, or wiring concern that is grounding out somewhere. With no codes and the fuel pump having already been replaced it is really hard to say at this point. I can opt out at this point to see if maybe another expert has seen this before if you like?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sure why not

O​k don't reply to this as it locks me to the question, thank you. Another expert will be with you shortly

Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 1 month ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA...can you tell me...have you taken note of what the fuel level was when this happens? Is it consistently happening when you are below or at 1/4 tank of fuel?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It just started to days ago and was just under half a tank
Ok thank you for the additional information.... It sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me...like the previous expert mentioned, if you have a fuel system concern, normally the system will store a code BUT not always. On the Ford Focus, specifically the early ones...2001-2004...we had fuel tank issues, where the fuel tank was delaminating...which means the internal coating of the fuel tank was flaking off and clogging the pick up screen, causing the exact problem that you are having. My advice is to lower the fuel tank and remove the fuel pump and look inside the fuel tank and see if there is debris in there. The reason I asked about the fuel level is because when the fuel level is low, the debris is closer to the pick up screen, and clogs it more easily.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replace the pump socks and filter 2 days ago and it made no difference. It Def seems to be a fuel delivery issue to be but it's been replaced and the take looked good when I dropped it
Drop the fuel tank and take a really good look inside.... We used to actually remove the fuel tank from the vehicle and clean it out that's how bad these things get so my suggestion is to really take a good look inside of it cuz that's exactly what it sounds like is going on with your vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think we can rule out fuel as a problem. I'm seeing 40psi at the rail during the issue. I also pulled the plug and they were covered in black carbon which tells me there is plenty of fuel. I replaced the spark plugs just a few moments ago problem still persists
The spark plugs could be black due to a lack of ignition but normally when they vehicle loses ignition it stalls since your vehicle is not stalling I'm saying that you have a fuel delivery problem and that you need to inspect the inside of that fuel tank
Did you take another look inside that fuel tank?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pulled it back took a flash light in there looks prestine
How was it that you monitor the fuel pressure when you were driving with a mechanical gauge or did you use your tester?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was data logging rail pressure through the obd2
Okay it is possible that if you have a faulty signal from your fuel rail pressure sensor you could be getting a false reading the best way to verify that the fuel pressure is correct is to use a mechanical fuel pressure gauge hooked up in line with the fuel line so I think that's your next step since this definitely seems like a fuel delivery problem I wouldn't rely so much on my fuel rail pressure sensor reading as much as I would have mechanical gauge so my next suggestion to you is to get a mechanical gauge hooked up and take it for a ride and so you can physically see the fuel pressure at the point of failure and see what's going on
We're you able to check the fuel pressure with a guage?
davehop
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician