Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 83 Ford F100 with a 302 2 Barrel Motorcraft 2150…

I have an 83...

I have an 83 Ford F100 with a 302 2 Barrel Motorcraft 2150 carburetor We have replaced all the fuel system new distributor plugs wires and coil what the truck does will run strong Idol put it in gear drive it down the road as it advances between 40 to 50 it will bog down spit and sputter sometimes it will die sometimes it won't usually have to limp it back home it will die have to start it two or three times we've replaced the carburetor we replaced everything on the fuel system just need some help trying to figure it out

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I would say it's the original transmission feels strong before it started acting up it's got a good fluid new filter not sure about the brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are it's my son's truck it's a project that we're putting together for him I've been a service tech for years not really married with carbureted systems As I Am fuel injection it's just got us dumped right now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's pretty much it

3/7/2018
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Are you having problems with the carb choke?

Does it open up fully after the engine is warmed up and thermostat is open?

it opens up completely.

Ok, are you saying that it bogs down at 40 to 50 mph?

Is the engine at this time warm, thermostat open and choke open?

If yes to all, what is the base ignition timing set at, what is the fuel pressure and does this have a new fuel filter?

Are you going to answer?

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician