Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A/c cmpressor turns on when set on heat 2003 f150 already…

A/c cmpressor turns on...

A/c cmpressor turns on when set on heat 2003 f150 already replacd blend door actuator

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i replaced blend door actuator

3/7/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Are you setting the heat setting when you switch it to the defroster setting?
Are you getting heat from the vents when you switch the temperature setting to heat?

compressor turns on when set def heater
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question and get right back with you. Do you have automatic or manual climate control?

manual

Per the Ford workshop manual the air compressor will engage in the following modes:

• Max
  • A/C
  • Panel/Floor
  • Floor/Defrost
  • Defrost

Is your system operating in any mode other than these?

compressor turns on when set to heat i have to disconect compressor in order to get hot air

I believe the problem isn't with the A/C compressor coming on. It is normal to come on even when the heat is set. It's done to remove the humidity from the air. The heat from the heating system should overcome the cooling and still provide you with warm air.

When you turn the temperature knob from cool to warm and back to cool, do you feel any temperature change?

Is your coolant clean and full?

is 70*when set on heat/coolant is full&clean

When you get 70 degrees on heat. Does the temperature drop when it's switched to cold?

no
temp will rise if i disconect compressor

When you have the heat on, and the a/c compressor comes on you should have enough heat to over come the cooling of the a/c compressor. Disconnecting the compressor will allow the air to warm some because the cooling stops. Your issue is one of three possibilities.

1. Your coolant isn't warm enough. The thermostat could be stuck open. If this is the case the coolant isn't warm enough to overcome the a/c cooling.
  2. The heater core is partially clogged. In this case some heating of the air is done, but the heater core does not have full coolant circulation and this causes insufficient heat transfer from the coolant to the air.
  3. Something has failed in the blend door system.

When you replaced the blend door actuator, were you able to inspect the door and make sure it moves freely?

thank you for ur help im gona chk door &t=stat .

You're welcome. If I can be of any further assistance don't hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician