Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2014 ford edge. i had grooves on one brake rotor so i…

Customer Question
i have 2014 ford edge...
i have 2014 ford edge. i had grooves on one brake rotor so i replaced the pads and rotors. i opened the reservoir cap, rotated the pistons inward. aligned the notches to the pad. now the calipers won't fully release. i swapped one caliper and the issue remains.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 4 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

Did you pump the brakes after the job, before turnng the key on, to get them to align back?

When you state they won't release, do you mean they are locked like parking barke is on?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

I may have pumped the brakes prior to turning the key initially. Not certain. I know I pumped with key turned. After i swapped the caliper I bled the brakes with key turned. After all parts swapped and bled I pressed and hold pedal and the caliper locks the rotor. When I release the pedal the caliper partially retracts to the point that the rotor turns but it is dragging hard.
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 4 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

So both rear are still dragging? Are the rotors correct?

rotors are correct. i measured the thickness, off set, and thickness of the mounting flange with digital calipers. Before changing the caliper I rebuilt the brakes with the old equipment and it still drags the same

Did you crack the bleeders before you cranked in the pistons on the initial brake service

I did not crack the bleeds. I opened the reservoir cap.

Likley the master cylinder is failed...they suggest cracking the bleeders before forcing the pistons in...it's a rare occurrence but it happens..usually sediment damages the master or seal failure.... Master cylinder .Is gonna be the fix

Guess that will be tomorrow night. How long does this conversation last? Can i reply tomorrow if the master cylinder doesn't fix it?

Yes you can. Hope you can rate my service 5 star...best of luck

i swapped the master cylinder and the problem remains

Is the parking brake stuck?

nope, the parking brake mechanism is fully retracted.

Makes no sense. You have pics I can review?

Looks like the master cylinder was the fix. I had to push the rear pistons back in so they could be reset and I had tons of air in the system since I failed to bleed the master very well.

Great hope you can rate my service 5 star