Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just poking around reading about check engine light. A

Customer Question
Just poking around reading...

Just poking around reading about check engine light. A dealership diagnosed *$850 worth of 02 and other sensors. A local mechanic said there is no problem, reset the light to off. It goes about 6 weeks and comes on again. This is a 1997 Ford Exploder with 291,000 miles on it. It runs great never lets me down

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Not blinking, thank goodness

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just had it scoped. the guy said it is a flukey light. The dealership diagnosed the o2 sensors and more ($850)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much does this cost?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Ford Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Yeah, okay, I will take it back to the mechanic and have him scope it again

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
3/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 month ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Did they happen to give you the actual trouble codes they got from your vehicle?
Example P0401

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should have dug up the papers. two O2 I can look on my history online, be right back

Ok. Without the trouble codes, we can only guess, and that can get expensive.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forget it for now. I guess $5 trial doesn't get the scoop It was PO171 and PO174

P0171 and P0174 are lean codes. I do not think the 02 sensors will fix the problem. Most of the time this is caused by a vacuum leak or a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. Check the PCV hose from the passenger side valve cover to the back of the engine. The rubber elbows break down and crack and cause vacuum leaks.

A. Penland
A. Penland