Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My check engine light came on last week. I got it read and…

My check engine light...

My check engine light came on last week. I got it read and it said cylinder 4 misfire. I think he also said it had a secondary message saying check guages. When in idle, there is a lot of jerking, almost like a bouncing feeling

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on. It blinked once last week but since it has stayed on with no blinking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2002 Ford Explorer XLT V8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

The worker at O'Reilly said to start with new spark plugs. But my dad thinks it could be a coil. So we haven't really done anything yet. If possible we would fix it ourself, but if not, I'm not afraid to go to a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It almost seems like I'm not accelerating properly. I get the speed I usually get, but it seems like it kind of has to think before shifting over to accelerate past a certain point.

3/6/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Would be best to check fire at #4 so your not blindly replacing parts, do you know how to do this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Text is preferred for me anyway, so no problem there. And no I don't know how to do that

here a great video on how to check spark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vl9JlIFiic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I'll do that. Probably not today because the weather is pretty crappy.
So what, in your opinion without actually seeing the issue, would be worst case scenario here?

hopefully its just a coil or plug but it could be a computer problem if your asking for worst case or wiring issue, if it is a coil and generic brand works well and you want to get oem plugs nothing fancy

hows it coming?

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician