Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 ford freestyle interior lights remain on even while car…

2006 ford freestyle interior...

2006 ford freestyle interior lights remain on even while car is running, and even when its off?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Most sources point towards faulty door switch. which is not telling the car that a door is closed..

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Freestyle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have only checked the fuse ( 15amp # F2 ) it is good, i removed it, and thre lights did go off, but that fuse also controls the radio and power windows

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No how can i trouble shoot the door switches?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was driving yesterday, when all of the sudden, the overhead interior lights came on.... they have not gone off since.
3/6/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question and get back with you. If you have your VIN please send it to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks, ***** ***** to get the vin # for you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1FMDK05166GA05437

Thank you for the VIN. Are you getting any indication in the instrument cluster that a door is ajar when the interior lights are on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, and even when i run the system check, it comes back: "all doors closed" , liftgate closed"

Have you attempted to turn the lights off using the dimmer wheel next to the headlamp switch? Roll it down halfway and see if they go off with the doors closed. If not roll dimmer wheel all the way down and see if they go off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
tried that, they didnt go off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the dimmer switch only controls the Instrument cluster & dash lights, not the overhead lights... and yes, the overhead lights are in the OFF position

Thank you for the information. Give me a moment to research this further.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no sweat, there are 3 rows of the overhead lights in this vehicle, each set has 2 bulbs. if i cant reach a conclusion with you now... i guess i can remove the bulbs from the housings, so i can at least drive at night. i will have to put the fuse back in the panel, because i really need to have the power windows, and the radio work.
one other thing of note: Last year i had the car serviced at ford dealership because the car completely shut off on me while driving. it had to be towed in, and the tech. said that there was a loose exposed wire that was hanging down from the engine bay, and shorting out on the frame, he assured me that it was put back in place.
also there was a time when windows were left down in the rain ( more than 6 monthes ago) but water did get into the the door panel i believe, could either of those incidents led to this problem?. im just throwing out ideas here,

The interior lights are activated by the door ajar switches or the dimmer switch. Since you are not getting a door ajar indication it's not a door ajar switch. The only other possibility is a failed dimmer switch or the SJB. To rule this out let's disconnect the headlamp switch and unplug the connector to the dimmer wheel.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok - do you mind walking me thru that? whats a SJB?

The sjb is the "smart junction box" it's the interior fuse box. This fuse box also doubles as the control module for the interior electronics.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok , so whats step 1?

Give me a moment to find the directions to remove the switch.

With a small screwdriver just slide the tip around the edge of the switch housing and pry it forward. The switch should come forward. Once it comes forward the connectors plug into the back of the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
u mean behind the dimmer wheel right?

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
got it. unplugged the switch goin the wheel, and the lights are still on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
lights remain on, with keys out of ignition, and with doors closed, also while car is running and doors closed...

The two ways the SJB will turn on the lamps are via door ajar switch, which would give you a door ajar warning, or the dimmer switch grounding the yellow wire at the dimmer wheel. If you've disconnected the dimmer and the lights are still on there is a failure in the SJB. Either the sense circuit has failed and is incorrectly reporting that the lamps are being requested on, or the courtesy lamp relay that is made into the SJB is stuck on. The only repair for this will be to replace the smart junction box.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thanks, ***** ***** your notes to give to my ford dealership. will rate this answer after their findings. you've been a help.

Sounds good. Let me know what they find.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Michael
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician