Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Expedition 5.4 l - 2 valve Please review the previous…

2004 Expedition 5.4 l - 2 valve Please...
2004
Expedition
5.4 l - 2 valve
Please review the previous call for stuff we’ve done so far...I’ve also run high concentrations of Lucus injector cleaner & Seafoam.For moments it runs well, then starts missing again...I’ve gone to Auto Zone 3 times with the same code:
P0171
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2018
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

is the 171 the only code that returned??

that is a lean code for bank 1 or the passenger bank

fuel additives have little or no effect on the injectors.

did you look for any vacuum leaks?? look for any hoses cracked or broken.

I did NOT see anything. Searching for a vacuum leak is so overwhelming
I had an intake manifold installed. I wonder if it could be leaking?
The previous things that happened:Replaced intake manifold,Drove 150 miles, ran perfectly, 10 min after it started raining engine started missing20 min after the rain stopped it would run wellYou suggested removing coils and blowing out wells.I did & only solid dry pieces came outHas NOT run well after that, wet or dry
Then I put fuel treatment in

did you replace the boots on the coils as I suggested when you had the coils out???

Roy

I did NOT. All boots looked great. It has NOT been in the rain since.I have driven maybe 50 miles since I reinstalled the coils. Shouldn’t I have codes about which cylinder is causing a problem if it is coil related?

the boots are made of rubber. when they get wet from the rain, they leak electric through the sides and cause a miss fire.

that is what I explained way back in the beginning when I told you to replace them. you only need the boots not the whole coil.

Roy

I got the boots

ok, did you install them?? you had the coils out??

Roy

Any reason the codes do NOT show misfire on 3 & 4 anymore
I did NOT install them

because the spark is getting to the plugs.

get a spray bottle and spray down the coils while the engine is running and see if you can create the miss fires

Roy

sir. I’ll attack #3&4. As soon as I can...

Ok, sounds like a plan

roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

It is open

2004 Expedition 5.4 l 2 valveReplaced coil boots for 1234
Intermittently it misfires. Runs well for a while, 20 min maybe, then runs well for a while. I took a 100 mile trip. When it was missing I got 15 mpg running well 22 mpg all at 55mphNow I have the following codes:
P0171
P0304
P0442
Please paste your response so we are all on the same page...

when you did the boots, did you replace number 4 plug??

look for any vacuum lines loose or broken on the passenger side

close your other post. then we will continue here

sir replaced 4.I looked for vacuum lines off leaking. I do NOT hear well so I never hear hissing...

ok, make sure the pcv valve is secure and not damaged. make sure it is seated in the valve cover

injector connectors in good shape and tight??

coil connectors good? a lot of times they break the release clips and they are not secure when installed.

Roy

Replaced PCV valve. Still seated.I’ll check the other items & let you know

ok

close your other question that I started on with you

How?

there should be an option in your menu for that question. go to the question and then look for something that will close it.

Checked the wires going to the injector and coil for number four they were tight and I could NOT pull them off

ok, I guess we are back to this post.

can you ohm out the injector for number 4 cylinder?

Roy

sir
Just remember the problem is intermittent...

yep making sure the injector is not out of spec. want to be sure before we discuss an injector.

Roy

Just #4?

that was the miss fire, right??

sir

ok, just number 4

13.6 ohms
Same as #1

thats good.

it sounds like you may have dirt in that injector. I would get some sea foam in the fuel system.

Roy

Did that:
Had 5 gal of gas in tank. Added seafoam and drove at 2000 RPM for 30 minutes
I take that back. i used some other kind of injector cleaner and drove a 2000 RPM for 30 minutes. Then I put 5 gallons of gas in and put seafoam in. I don’t really recall how I drove after I had the seafoam in…
I have 1/4 tank. I can get seafoam right now and drive for 30 min.Best plan?

try it and see. it wont be noticeable right away it takes time to break up the dirt.

Roy

I’m assuming the higher concentration will act faster...Going to the store now & get 2 cans to put in 1/4 tank. Maybe 10-11 gal...

ok

2 cans of sea foam in 1/4 tank of gas.Drove for 20 min.With trans in gear 1 lower than driveStarted at 2500 RPMAccelerated to 4000 RPM
Repeated for 20 minutesCar runs rough at regular RPM...Will NOT have time to work on it again until Monday...
How many miles do I need to drive it with seafoam before I replace the injector?Or is there anything else I need to do?

about 50-75 miles to take effect, if it is an injector

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
I finished about 100 miles then filled up the gas tank
The only change is it missing consistently now. I guess I need to go to Autozone again & verify the codes...When I press on the gas pedal hard it SEEMS like the missing goes away.I did NOT add seafoam to the full take if gas. Pretty much used 10ish gallons with 2 cans of seafoam...What is interesting is the evolution of this failure.Started out with replacing the intake manifoldStarted missing when it was rainingNow it misses all the time (maybe except accelerating hard...)
Hey Roy,I’m doing what you told me. Rate you then the question will stay open until we finish.Hope that’s the caseHere are the error codes:
P0171
P0204
P0304
P0442
P0300What is the next step?

sorry, been really under the weather for a while. it tougher when you are older.

let me review

Roy

Ok

the 204 and 304 are internal fault circuits in the pcm. look like the pcm has failed but I would like to know why as you did noy have this issue before.

Roy

P0204

ItemDescription

Symptom/DTCP0204

Descriptor

Cylinder No. 4 Injector Circuits

Probable Causes

• Fuel Injector Driver Within Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Faulty
I disconnected the #4 fuel injector wire and put it back on. Now I'm back to a little misfiring instead of all the time and real bad...

ok

did you read the explanation of the code I posted???

Roy

I did NOT understand what to do with that...You also said:but I would like to know why as you did noy have this issue before.When I checked the resistance on #4 injector I must NOT have put the connector back on well. The clip was on BUT it must NOT have made a good connection...

I understand but the code that set was for an internal error in the pcm, not an injector error. let me see if I can get more info on the code.

Roy