Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just bought a 1991 Ranger (5 speed top-loader. While driving…

Just bought a 1991...

Just bought a 1991 Ranger (5 speed top-loader. While driving home transmission would not work in third or fourth gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

Not yet, it was real sluggish in overdrive also, wouldn't go above 55 mph going uphill

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing at all yet, like I said, just bought the truck for $1000 it failed on the way home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Looked like the rranny had 80-90 GO in it to me

3/4/2018
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Does the shift lever move or has the shifter rod fallen off the one lever?

Not dure what you mean. The shift lever seems to move a lot further than what I would perceive as a normal range of motion for a shifter. The boot is still on it (inside the vehicle), so I can't see anything

You would have to look at the transmission itself and the shift levers to see if they move. If they do, then the problem is inside the transmission. If the rod has fallen off one you would see as soon as you look at it.

It's a top loader, so there really isn't much to see there...
The transmission is now stuck in reverse, no matter what I do with the stick!

Is the stick stuck in reverse?

remove the shifter boot so you can at least look there.

No, the stick moves but the trans is stuck in reverse

You have to look to see if the shifter rods are still hooked up to the transmission shift levers on the transmission and also that they move, so you are going to have to look at it. If you cannot see if from looking underneath or removing the boot, then you are going to have to either jack it up high enough and place on jack stands or tow to a shop with a lift.

OK thanks Mike

You may also have a clutch problem.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.
Just because you became a member doesn't mean you don't still have to rate the expert when done so he gets credit for his time.

See anything yet?

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician