Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Ford Focus and a check engine light. ODB-2 is…

I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 Ford Focus and a check engine light. ODB-2 is returning a P144A - replace evap purge control valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stay on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying but I have not started because there seems to be confusion on the location of the valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

3/3/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Ok, I need to know if yours has the 2L or 2L turbo engine

Standard 2L

ok, give me a couple of minutes to pull the information up

HI,

Ok, you will need to remove the air cleaner outlet tube. Full directions are attached for you

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Please note that your expert pays for requested directions out of pocket for your benefit. Failure to give a positive rating means that the expert will no longer be able to provide this service at substantial savings to you

Hold on. I have just a valve from AutoZone (Duralast PV516). It is not the entire cable harness from the firewall running between the battery box & engine, running underneath the air intake tube.I just have a valve. Is this valve mounted under the air intake tube near the engine?

They sold you the wrong part

Ok. Funny AutoZone ran the check engine light, told me the code, and brought up the part right as I stood there. UGH!So to fix P144A troublecode, I need the cable harness you described in the directions? Any idea what the original Ford part number is?

You need to return it and ask specifically for the evaporative purge control valve

They gave you correct diagnostic information, just sold you the wrong part

Here is the duralast part you need - PV965 - see attached

It is not a cable harness - it is a purge valve with preattached vacuum hoses

Ok.. well, I gotta go back to AutoZone and swap out the parts

HI,

Ok, sounds good and just follow the directions I provided to replace it. Takes about 40 minutes start to finish to replace it.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

At this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

No worries. The correct part was ordered. Arrives Tuesday March 6 after 3. I will install that night and rate then

Hi

Ok, sounds good

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager