Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 ford expedition with check engine light code…

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 ford expedition with check engine light code is lean fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have replaced o2 sensors, checked for air leaks, changed the coil packs, spark plugs, map air sensor and took it in to shop who said maybe fuel pump going out I don't see hos that would cause it. and either fix myself or take it to someone who can actually find the problem

3/3/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

What are the actual trouble codes you got?
Example P0401

P0171

Does the engine lack power on acceleration?
Is it running rough or stalling?

P0174
No stalling but running rough at idle and on hills

Is it running rough or stalling?

Rough at about 45-50 miles an hour then smooths out

You've changed almost everything. The main cause of the lean codes you have are vacuum leaks. Mainly the PCV system. Chek the hoses running from the passenger side valve cover to the back of the engine. Check the connections for soft/sticky and collapsed parts.

I have done that and no leaks, replaced the elbow at the back on passenger side as well. I am just at a loss
Can the fuel filter be the cause or the fuel pump?
Even the shop could not find any leaks

Have you disconnected the battery for 10 minutes to reset the memory in the PCM (Engine Computer)?

A plugged fuel filer can cause that, but a proper fuel pressure test will verify that.

I can take it in for fuel pressure test

Also, have them check the EGR ports in the throttle bode. They tend to plug up also over time and restrict exhaust flow back into the engine when the EGR valve commands it. flow

Okay I will see how that works out. Thanks

Your welcome.

A. Penland