Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Ford problem

I have a Ford problem
2/27/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What is your concern?

I have asked this question before. 1997 Ford F-250 with the 351CID/5.8 LTR. Trying to remove the distributor. Removed the clamp, housing turns and moves up until it hits the bottom of the shaft, but will not come out. Housing is loose, but the shaft will not.
Shaft will not release from the cam/pencil shaft area.

This engine is not one I have a lot of experience on. I will opt out

Thank you.
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you still need help with this?

ok, the gears on these can get worn and cause it to stick on the cam gear, it is very common, we use a lady's foot bar to get under the distributor and pry up to get them out, you will most likely need to replace the gear on the distributor shaft once it is out, do yu have a lady' foot pry bar?

No, but can get one. Note: Reason for replacement is the upper bearings/bushings in the distributor are worn causing the engine to miss. Do not know if this has any effect.

No, the worn out bushing will not cause this, the gear on the end of the distributor is worn and is sticking on the cam gear, we see this alot, use a small lady's foot to get under the distibutor and pry up while twisting the distributor, it will come out,Tim

The plan is to replace the entire distributor. Do you know if there is an issue regarding if the distributor gear is steel or cast?

the steel ones are what we use, they last alot longer, if you get just the gear, it is usually steel, and most of the remanned distributors have the steel ones,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Thank you.No further assistance needed at this time.

Anytime my friend, please take the time to rate? It is the only I get paid,thanks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH