Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1973 Triumph Stag with a converted Ford V6 engine.

The conversion was done long...
I have a 1973 Triumph Stag with a converted Ford V6 engine. The conversion was done long before I acquired the car by Hurley Motor Engineering in Coventry (UK). I would like to know the exact type (Essex or Cologne) and size (2.0, 2.3, 2.5, ...)? The number cast on the engine block is 722F8015B.
2/24/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Can you post pictures of the engine and of the casting numbers?

Sure, but it’s almost midnight here so I’ll post them tomorrow.

No problem. will be on line tomorrow. I am in Alabama in the USA. I will be on line tomorrow.

Hereby some pictures of the engine and numbers (taken with some more light than yesterday late evening). I wrote 722F8015B but the number "8" is not entirely clear/sure. Hans
IMG_1742.JPGIMG_1742.JPGIMG_1743.JPGIMG_1743.JPGIMG_1744.JPGIMG_1744.JPGIMG_1746.JPGIMG_1746.JPGIMG_1751.JPGIMG_1751.JPGIMG_1752.JPGIMG_1752.JPGIMG_1753.JPGIMG_1753.JPG

Ford Essex V6 engine (UK)

3.0L Essex V6

Thank you! Can I ask why you think it’s a 3.0L? Based on the carburator, my local Ford mechanic (who is more fond of old cars than of new ones) thought it could be a 2.3L (but he also though it was a Cologne...).

It took a lot of digging and I had to contact a friend of mine in Miami who deals with imports. He has a V8 Stag 1973. He has a code book that breaks down casting numbers.

Thanks a lot! I wanted to know this before a friend of mine starts buying some replacement parts.

Your very welcome.

A. Penland