Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1973 Triumph Stag with a converted Ford V6 engine.

The conversion was done long...
I have a 1973 Triumph Stag with a converted Ford V6 engine. The conversion was done long before I acquired the car by Hurley Motor Engineering in Coventry (UK). I would like to know the exact type (Essex or Cologne) and size (2.0, 2.3, 2.5, ...)? The number cast on the engine block is 722F8015B.
2/24/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Can you post pictures of the engine and of the casting numbers?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure, but it’s almost midnight here so I’ll post them tomorrow.

No problem. will be on line tomorrow. I am in Alabama in the USA. I will be on line tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hereby some pictures of the engine and numbers (taken with some more light than yesterday late evening). I wrote 722F8015B but the number "8" is not entirely clear/sure. Hans
IMG_1742.JPGIMG_1742.JPGIMG_1743.JPGIMG_1743.JPGIMG_1744.JPGIMG_1744.JPGIMG_1746.JPGIMG_1746.JPGIMG_1751.JPGIMG_1751.JPGIMG_1752.JPGIMG_1752.JPGIMG_1753.JPGIMG_1753.JPG

Ford Essex V6 engine (UK)

3.0L Essex V6

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! Can I ask why you think it’s a 3.0L? Based on the carburator, my local Ford mechanic (who is more fond of old cars than of new ones) thought it could be a 2.3L (but he also though it was a Cologne...).

It took a lot of digging and I had to contact a friend of mine in Miami who deals with imports. He has a V8 Stag 1973. He has a code book that breaks down casting numbers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks a lot! I wanted to know this before a friend of mine starts buying some replacement parts.

Your very welcome.

A. Penland
A. Penland
A. Penland