Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1972 Ford F100 that the starter will engage but it…

I have a 1972...

I have a 1972 Ford F100 that the starter will engage but it won't turn engine or start. i recently replaced the starter because the solenoid was just clicking and it wouldn't start. after replacing the starter, it cranked and ran fine for about 3 to 4 weeks. Now it just engages and won't start. I just finished replacing the cable from the solenoid to the starter. No success. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

No noise, won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. New Battery, New solenoid, new starter, New cable to starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The truck has been sitting for about 16 years. trying to bring it back to life.

2/18/2018
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this.

Have you tried to manually turn over the engine at the crank pulley?

No. The engine was running fine and starting fine for about 3 to 4 weeks after I replaced the starter.

If you have verified that everything else is good on the mechanical side of the engine, and if you have good power and ground signals at the starter solenoid then I would be leaning towards it being a failed starter assembly, which is not uncommon for some of the aftermarket starters for these older motors

I’m going to test that the starter had good ground next. If that doesn’t work then removing the starter and taking it back would be my next step. Thanks

Okay great. Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician