Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 F150 Crew cab Rear Door Lock. Drivers side rear door…

2011 F150 Crew cab Rear...
2011 F150 Crew cab Rear Door Lock. Drivers side rear door the door lock works manually, but not with the switch or the key fob. I just replaced the latch/actuator assembly thinking that was the issue, but it still does not work. Not the fuse since the other three still work, so not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I will be assisting you today. If you have your VIN available please send it to me.

Do you have a multimeter and the ability to use it?

VIN 1FTFW1CF4BKE14033
Yes I have multimeter and know the basics of it.

Give me a moment to research this.

Disconnect the rear latch connector. Find the purple wire with a grey stripe, and the grey wire with a brown stripe. Check both of the wires for resistance to ground. A good ground to check to is the housing of the power point in the rear. Check this and let me know the resistance reading you get for each wire.

purple w/grey stripe nada. grey w/brown stripe high 20's (kept fluctuating between 27 and 30)

The fluctuations in resistance in the brown with grey are caused by multiple other connections along that wire. I'd focus on the purple wire with the grey stripe. This wire is broken. Most likely in the door jamb of the driver's rear door. That's where the most movement is.

Do you have a pic or instructions on how to remove the b pillar cover? I got the bolt under the "Airbag" cover at the top, not sure what is next.
give me a few minutes to get this together for you.
I got it open enough to see what I need, but no connector. Wire harness comes out of door, through the flexible conduit to the outside of the b pillar, and just comes straight through and down to the trough along the floor of the truck.

The wiring diagram does say "if equipped". Sounds like you have one that did not come with that connector.

That takes away an easy way to check, but if you pull the boot away to access the wiring between the door and body you should be able to see the wiring, find the purple and grey wire and give it a good pull. See if it will come out, I suspect it will. You can carefully shave some insulation from the wire where it comes out behind the b-pillar and check resistance from there to the latch since the circuit doesn't have a disconnection point there too.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Thanks, I'll just have to check a few points to narrow down where the break might be. Thanks for the help I know where to start now!