Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The transmission is dropping in and out of gear auto trans…

The transmission is dropping...

The transmission is dropping in and out of gear auto trans ef falcon

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

The trans is good mechanical I feel it could be the neutral start switch as some times the engine start in park or neutral

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Falcon?

EF

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Falcon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will be fixing my self but havn't started yet just getting all possible information

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What is the next procedure

2/17/2018
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

I am sorry to say it but this will not be a problem with the neutral start switch. The switch is made to let you start the engine in park or neutral. If you are dropping out of gear, then you have to have low fluid levels, low pump pressure, leaks in the clutch drums inside the transmission, Or the clutches are worn to the point that cannot hold anymore. This problem will be an internal problem inside the transmission itself.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
I don't thing the neutral start switch trouble has anything to do with the clutch pack operation when the same switch controls the gear change solonoids in the transmission

The computer controls the solenoids, nit the neutral start switch. Even if you unplugged all the electrical to the transmission after you started the engine the transmission would still work in revers and first gear.

Your problem is a hydrolic problem not an electrical problem.

The car wont start with it in park or neutral the engine doesn't crank this is exactly the same time the transmission dropping in and out of gear

If the car will not start, how is it dropping out of gear?

When you finally get the car started with movement of gear lever you have transmission for a very short period possible 30 sec than nothing

So it will not move at all after the 30 seconds?

no drive at all

Then as I said, this is going to be an internal problem inside the transmission. 1st and revers gears would still work with no electrical power going to the transmission.

You havn't explained the concidence of the 2 issues where i have read that same switch can control the operation of solonoids is there a transmission computer some ware as I know the oul is very good and last changed 2 months ago there was no metal or clutch pack material in the old oil

When the shifter is in park, does the P on the shift indicator light up?

If you where not so dead set that the transmission does not have a problem, you would see what I have been trying to say to you. So let me put it to you this way. IF YOU HAD NO ELECTRICAL POWER GOING TO THE TRANSMISSION AT ALL, YOU WOULD STILL HAVE 1ST AND REVERS.

SO THEREFOR YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ELECTRICAL, SOLENOID, OR SWITCH PROBLEM. THIS HAS TO BE AN INTERNAL PROBLEM.

Unfortunatly I wasn't driving at the time I have just picked up on it I will do a few more test on it Thanks

You are very welcome.