Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Ford Explorer with 145k miles on it. We are

2011 Ford Explorer with...

2011 Ford Explorer with 145k miles on it. We are experiencing MyFordTouch screen is black with transport mode on it. We done everything from pulling fuses, battery cable, master reset, checking wiring, any feedback would be appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

New battery was just installed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

We done everything from pulling fuses, battery cable, master reset, checking wiring, any feedback would be appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We are working on the pin point testing, but everything is blank now. We've even tried all the connections behind the MFT screen

2/15/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Turn the key ON, and then push the brake pedal 5 times with about a 1 second pause in between the brake pedal push, then push the hazard switch 5 times after that and let me know if that helps. thank you.

We've done that too. sorry I forgot about that one
mentioning that one, but yes we have tried it.

Alright, How many miles are on the vehicle now by chance? thank you.

145k miles

Alright, Here is the transport mode description for 2011 explorer.

2011 EXPLORER VEHICLES ARE DELIVERED IN BATTERY SAVER TRANSPORT MODE. A MESSAGE MAY APPEAR IN THE CLUSTER MESSAGE CENTER, STATING VEHICLE IS IN TRANSPORT MODE. EXITING TRANSPORT MODE IS LISTED AS STEP 7 ON THE 2011 FORD EXPLORER PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE RECORD AND SHOULD BE PERFORMED JUST PRIOR TO CUSTOMER DELIVERY. TO EXIT TRANSPORT MODE THE IGNITION MUST BE IN RUN WITH ENGINE OFF, PRESS BRAKE PEDAL 5 TIMES AND PRESS HAZARDWITCH 4 TIMES (ON, OFF, ON, OFF) WITHIN 10 SECONDS. IF NOT MANUALLY EXITED, TRANSPORT MODE WILL AUTOMATICALLY TURN OFF AFTER THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN 75 MILES. NOTE: VEHICLES WITH PUSH BUTTON START CAN ACHIEVE IGNITION RUN MODE BY DEPRESSING THE START BUTTON TWICE WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE SERVICE BRAKE PEDAL.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/21/2010

If it has went back into transport mode with that many miles on it, then there is nothing you can do without hooking it to a ford IDS diagnostic system and seeing if you can get it out of transport mode that way. It may need a software upgrade or total upgrade to fix it unfortunately. There is really no other steps to get it out of transport mode other than what you have tried I'm afraid. It's going to take an advanced type scan tool and likely the Ford IDS scan tool to communicate with the system to hopefully be able to get it out of transport mode again. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Correct - yes know this already. The message doesn't display on the message center it displays on the My Ford Touch screen, big screen in the center console.

Alright, that is all the information I have unfortunately. Let me opt out and perhaps another expert has some other procedure you can try. Thank you.

We are currently using the Ford IDS scan tool. We are trying to get answers to help our customer out. Any information would be appreciate it. Thank you
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Since you have an IDS, perform retrieve continuous codes. Also perform the network test. Let me know if any of these modules fail network test or have codes:

APIM

ACM

DSP

FCIM

GPSM

IC

BCM

Also let me know if vehicle is equipped with Sony sound and/or Navigation.

Good Morning - during the network test the following does not work. APIM, ACM, FCIM. This Explorer is equipped with Sony Sound and NAV.

Good morning. Were there any codes and did any of the modules indicate "fail"?

Those three modules indicate fail - yes APIM, ACM, FCIM

I am busy at work, will try to respond asap. Thanks for your patience.

Understand, same here, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

First verify power on both sides of interior fuse 9 and 20 with the key on. With the battery disconnected, what is the resistance between pins 1 and 9 at the datalink connector?

Did you need any further assistance? The question is showing "waiting for customer response" Let me know and I will have the question closed out due to inactivity.
Thanks,
Kenny

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Kenny - Thank you for all your help - we finally discovered it was the APIM module.

Your very welcome!

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech