Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 03 f350 6.0 heater not blowing hot,just cold air out if…

My 03 f350 6.0...

My 03 f350 6.0 heater not blowing hot,just cold air out if the defroster only, I found the grey vacuum hose, it is on the nipple on the black a.c. box, I look around for the deal around the passenger side valve cover to plug that in there but I can see anything there?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

Yes the air is cold, not noticed any coolant leaks or any leaks, my selector switch does not operate from defroster to panel or floor,just defrost

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

109,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I feel like it's a vacuum leak just began troubleshooting

2/14/2018
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician

greetings,

The HVAC system uses vacuum to control air flow/direction. The default is defrost for safety reasons. This system uses an electric vacuum pump and reservoir that is located under the hood passenger side. Very common for a hose to come off after repairs. Also common for the pump to fail, not expensive to replace with aftermarket parts. Let me see if I can find a picture of it so we can compare with the hoses.

My vacuum pump is running but doesn't seem to be creating a vacuum? Sound common?

If it is running and there is no vacuum it is bad. More common for the pump to just quit.

most auto/truck parts stores will have the for 70$ and under.

Ok, and about the pic I sent of where the grey hose is at,

c​an you take a picture further away?

Gray hose should go to the heater control valve. it shuts off the flow of hot coolant to the heater core when the a/c is on.

I do not see a heater control valve in your picture. Either it is hidden, removed or they did not put one on this truck. the HVAC system will still work without it, not all vehicles use them.

Ok thank you for your help!��

you are welcome, good luck

Vacuum pump runs but doesn't seem to be creating a vacuum
I installed new vacuum pump and it's pulling a vacuum at the motor, but not out of the black box next to it that it plugs into?

Black box ? the pump should go to the vacuum reservoir to the PVH(4x4 solenoid) and then into the cab for the HVAC controls. let me see if I can find some vacuum schematics. if you have a clog that might be the cause for the pump failure

that is the vacuum reservoir . it holds vacuum so when there is a big demand you do not lose 4x4 hub lock or the HVAC air direction controls. The diagram shows the reservoir has a check valve which might be stuck or clogged. You might have check valves in other places too. Might need a vacuum reservoir .

should be able to blow in one side and get air out the other side or fitting

Ok thanks i will do my research, if I have more questions later is that still cool?

yep, good luck

Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Ironmike
Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician