Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replaced batteries, alternator and voltage regulator plug,

Replaced batteries, alternator and...

Replaced batteries, alternator and voltage regulator plug, but I still have a battery light on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

2008 f350 6.4l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

2/12/2018
Jagmaster
Jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for using the service- sorry you have that annoying problem of the charge light on.

So I have to ask- have you verified it's actually charging correctly? What is the charging voltage at the batteries?

after I replaced the batteries and alternator, the battery light was still on. took it back to get tested, wasn't charging until I pushed on the wire harness a little bit. Then they told me it was charging fine. so, I replaced the plug to the voltage regulator and it seemed to have solved the problem....for a day. Then the battery light came on again.

What you are describing is a strange and uncommon problem. Since you've found issue around the plug, I would keep checking in that area. You really need to know if it's actually charging though. Without always checking that every time youre working in circles.

if I find out that the slternator is not charging, what would my next course of action be?

You'd check that small wire off the alternator to verify it is showing charging voltage. Basically the light workis by having 12v on both side of the bulb. When the light is on, the alternator producing voltage, and so that wire is grounded throught the alternator and the light come on. When it's charging, the wire gets charging voltage, and both side of the bulb get 12v and the light stays off.

is there a separate course of action if the alternator is in fact charging?

If it's charging, than you'll have to start diagnosing that igniter wire to the cluster. It's just a single wire diagnosis, and more time consuming than difficult.

Jagmaster
Jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician
ok. Thanks for your help