Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Came home one day like always and the next morning my Crown…

Hi there, came home...

Hi there, came home one day like always and the next morning my Crown vic was cranking but no start. I notice the Pats led was blinking a code after a while. cone comes up as 1-6. go on line and I found that this means "Faulty link between PATS module and EECV"

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, battery is charged and car cranks with no problem,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 Crown Vic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, this car is too old to see dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked fuel switch in the trunk, all fuses, there was a lot about the fuse for cigar lighter, and i tried to run a scanner but it will not communicate. my scanner works fine on VW.

2/11/2018
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy, Automotive Electrician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you with that issue.

You can download free software program called "Forscan" ( just google it please) and purchase a cheap ELM 327 OBD adapter with USB interface . This should work on your Crown Victoria and you will able to check your car for trouble codes.

Without knowing trouble codes you can only check for power and grounds at the PATS module, PATS transceiver and PCM to make sure they all receive what they suppose to get.

I also remember there were some issues with wiring between the transceiver and module.

Hi Vlad, Im ChrisSome updates from last night. I found on blog the blinking code 1-6 as faulty link between PATS and EECV. After reading the suggestions I started swapping the repays and to some point I notice my scanner was lifted up and reading. I got excited and i turned the ignition ON. The scanner went bed and the light started to blink rapidly. after two minutes same code came up 1-6 flashes.I m HVAC by tread And I thinks of digging in deeper.If I get a used computer from junk yard, is it going to work?Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris and thanks for the update.

Unfortunately I do not have any information about blinking codes, I need to know a number like Pxxxx ( where x are numbers ).

So you think there is a problem with your engine computer PCM?

To be honest I am not 100% sure if you can use a second hand and reprogram keys, but it is not going to be straight plug and play replacing, you will need to do PATS programming and it requires min two keys available.

I can tell you 100% it works with Australian ford and you can link a second hand PCM to your car, but with Crown Victoria I only used a brand new PCM when I had a similar issues maybe 12 years ago or so.

Before replacing any parts, I would do that thing with FORSCAN I mentioned above so you can talk to your car and confirm like you have no response from PCM or PATS etc.

Do visual wiring inspection within the steering column, I remember I have seen some issues there before.

Hi Vlad,I got the forscan and its the same thing like my other scanner, it like the plug or harness is nut plugged to the PCM. I looked for obvious wiring problems, no luck. Now I am thinking of running to junk yard to get some replacement PCM. Question for you. What is the module that is right behind the scanner plug? The one that has the audio beeping sound when door is open. Should i get that as well?

I believe it is a Lighting Control Module.

I do not think it has something to do with your issue.

Make sure to get extended license for Forscan so you can do PATS programming and make sure you have at least two keys.

I believe you already checked all power and grounds to the PATS module and wiring integrity between the PATS module and PATS transceiver.

Hi Vlad,I got the car running pure luck. It wormed up outspent and I happened and I tried the key ON, plugged the scanner and it worked, found no codes at all. Tried the ignition ON and the scanner and check engine lite kept on clicking in and out for about a minute and finally stoped, tired starting and it started.
This morning when i tried the key on it did the same for 30 seconds and cleared to start.Question, Can I install PCM from cop cars to bypass the PAT. I founding that they don't have the PAT system so most likely are direct replacement.Thanks

Hi, So you think you have an intermittent issue with the PCM?

You may try a Police version PCM, but I would disconnect PATS stuff before trying that, just to make analogy with Chrysler/Jeep systems their new PCM of these years "learn" about antitheft system as soon as they connected to a car that has PATS system, not sure about Ford as I mentioned I have not played much with the second computers on US Fords.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Vlad,Continuation, same problem happened next day. It was raining day so I got on line on I ordered used PCM. Plugged it today and same symptoms. Turn the key ON: no check engine light, dash light flashes rapidly, no communications ppm with scanner. I had my PCM at home drying up meanwhile, plugged it in and same no communication. Checked cigaret lighter and it works. When the car worked intermittently, the check engine light would come on when key was ON, when started it would die out, no codes on scanner.Where should I look next?

I would start from checking all powers and grounds at the PCM connector.

Check PCM power relay and see if it clicks when you turn the key ON. You will need to check Battery +12v and Ignition Run +12V and grounds, I would use a good headlight bulb to properly load circuits .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi,I have done that, power is on the PCM relay, when I pull the diod the PCM relay click nicely. I have been also using multimeter to ground and I get nice 12plus volts.what else can I check?THanks

Why would you pull the diode?

using multimeter is not really the bast way to test it. We have to be sure you get proper grounds and power at the PCM connector . Your multimeter will show you almost 12V if you connect the black probe to ground and grab the red probe in your LH hand and touch the battery positive terminal with your RH hand. I am no joking, try that.

Whenever we have a PCM or any other control module not responding, the first thing to check is Power/Grounds at the connector.

There could be other things that would put it down like communication issues or some 5V line shorted as well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi,I was pulling the diode as this was the closeted pint to check for power...How can I pin of land a testing probe on PCM if the plug is all sealed? Would I unplug the PCM and pin the plug?

Hi, the PCM power diode is connected in series to the PCM power relay on the control side of the relay, but we need to know what happens on the power/contact switching side of the relay.

Yes, you need to unplug the PCM connector and carefully prob the terminals, but not damaging them by forcing a probe IN. The last thing you want is to spread terminals, so carefully just touch it.

It is important to use a headlight bulb as we want to load the circuit to see if it is able to deliver some decent current.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi,I did exactly like you sad and Thanks that was so much easier with the strong bulb. Now here are the findings
Checked PCM plugs found power on only two tabs.
Checked relays constant power found only fuel pump ( on the switch side not the coil side)
I turned the key on found power on diode, AC, but nothing on PCM
trace that back to fuse box it checks good, pulled fuse box out power leaves the fuse box, found plug by PCM and it does not have power.
I switch the piggy constant power from AC relay to PCM relay. Turned key ON, check engine is on, antitheft diode works good, but the fuel pump won't prime and the car turns but no start.
Plugged scanner and it will cont communicate with PCM like before.
Checked power leaving PCM relay and it ON.What should I do next ?

that is great you managed to check all this stuff.

Let's make it a bit more organized just to be sure we are on the same page.

1. You should have grounds at all times on the following terminals : 3, 25, 51,77,103.

2.With PCM connector unplugged, you should see +12V on terminal 55 at all times.

3.The PCM power relay should have +12V on relay terminal 30 at all times.

4. When you turn the key ON you basically provide +12V from the ign switch to the diode and from diode to the relay terminal 86 that makes the relay energized, so the pcm power relay should click and switch /bridge power from terminal 30 to terminal 87 that is hardwired to the PCM connector terminal 71.

With all relays and diodes in place you should see +12V on PCM terminal 71 right after turning the key ON.

Please let me know what is going on on each step I mentioned above. Thanks. Vlad

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello,It was nice outside today so I did my checks, below are my findings.
1. I found the the pin #3 is not there so I got on line to find PCM wiring schematics and all I got was 2003 model with is bit different them my. Anyhow I tested that with my bulb, power from battery +, and second lead withe a small pin started testing the locations listed by you. 25, 51, 77, 103. Light would not come on and I don't know why so I check the grounding wire on that side that is attached to the body, with the light and it works. Am I doing something wrong? I pulled my multimeter to check the continuity, same ground body bolt to the four terminals listed and it check out good.2. Key off not power on terminal 55 at all. checked all of them and there is not constant power on PCM plug. I fallowed the 2003 PCM schematics to make sure I am on the right track.3. No power on terminal 30 at all, and that is the one if found yesterday. Found only constant power on fuel/gas relay and AC relay.So I switch the constant power pin from AC relay to EEG/pin 30 to eliminate that one and check the rest.When ING is ON. I got the power for diode, feeding coil side for EEG relay. Coil pulls closing contact and I check on the wire side leaving relay with the bulb it checks. Checked for power on position 71, found no power. Had my girlfriend turn the key on thinking it a momentary signal, found no power on pin 71 for the run 12 V. What can I check next?With the ING ON I get power for all the coil listed on schematics, 1, 26, 27, 52, 53, 78, 79, 104. No other pis have power.Thank you for your help and please instruct.Can you send me a schematics to my PCM?Chris

Hello.

I believe you do your testing at the harness side, not at the pcm itself.

1. My wiring diagram shows pin #3, but if it is not there, it is OK. All I can think about is your small pin might not reached the terminals inside the connector. I usually use just one strand of copper wire because it is pretty thin and soft that means it won't damage the terminal. try that and make sure your bulb will glow on all 4 terminals mentioned before.

2. There should be battery +12V on the terminal 55 ( yellow black wire). Batteru +12V to the PCM pin 55 coming from Fuse 12 30A that is located in the underhood power distribution center.

3. The same Fuse #12 30A provides +12V battery power to the PCM relay cavity #30.

4. You get no power at #71 with the relay energized because you have no power on #30 of the relay.

Power to ignition coils coming from the ignition switch, that is why you can see it.

At this stage you need to find and fix power to the relay #30 and pcm #55. Check the fuse I mentioned above.

There is not only one wiring diagram, it is more than several pages. not sure if I can copy that.

Vladimir Grodskiy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello,Would like to thank you very much for walking me thru this. After this exercise I me a lot more open to troubleshooting in the future. I did like you sad and I jumped that faulty wire to the closest plug by PCM, checked for content power on the PCM and I found it but in different location. Anyhow, I plugged the PCM and it all came to life, my scanner and my car.I will be glad to write nice comment plus rating.
Have a nice day
Chris

Hi Chris,

I am so glad to hear it is fixed and you have learnt some new skills in electrical troubleshooting and diagnostic.

You are welcome.

Regards,Vlad

Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy