Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I accidentally put windshield washer fluid in the brake

Customer Question
I accidentally put windshield...

I accidentally put windshield washer fluid in the brake fluid reservoir of my 2017 Ford Escape. I hav not touched the

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? When was it last changed?

I just got the car this past September so I assume never

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hav used a bulb suction to immediately remove most of the fluid...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I haven’t driven or touched my brakes since. Happened 10min ago tops...what should I do

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
2/7/2018
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What engine do you have?

Ummm... lol...I don’t know how can I find that info ☺️

8th digit of your vin should tell me.

x, 9, or 7.

Otherwise without that info you should be ok if you add brake fluid, suck it out, add fluid again, suck it out, then add fluid again for one final time. But to be 100% safe you will want to remove the brake fluid reservoir and empty it out then add new fluid. But just filling/sucking out the fluid a few times should be fine. Let me know what engine you have and I can give you instructions to remove reservoir, thanks.

What is the question you have? Thanks.

2713
^last 4 of VIN
Still there?

I need the 8th digit of vin otherwise the complete vin. Let me know, thanks.

8th digit is the letter D

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes to pull up information.

Looks like I'm not able to pull up any diagrams for vehicle but there should be 2 10mm bolts holding reservoir in place then the brake line will pull off reservoir or you can release quick connect adapter about a foot down the hose. Then you can empty out reservoir, rinse it out with brake fluid, reconnect, and refill. If that seems a little too involved you should be fine just refilling reservoir and sucking out fluid a couple times. Let me know how it goes or if you have questions, thanks.

Am I to suction out the reservoir completely before refill? Three times?Why do I do this multiple times? Just asking so I understand reasoning behind this.Appreciate your help!

Do it multiple times just to reduce the amount of any fluid that my still be in there. If you do it once you will probably get 90% of washer fluid out, 2nd time will be 98% and 3rd time will be 99.9%, ect. So I'm just saying it the more the better but after 3rd time there shouldn't be enough to worry about. Let me know how it goes or if you have questions, thanks.

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

Dan, Technician