Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Looking for vehicles with same exact transmission.. can you…

Looking for vehicles with same...
Looking for vehicles with same exact transmission.. can you give me some vehicles to look into? please.https://www.driverside.com/specs/ford-econoline_commercial_cutaway-1999-2870-5750-0?style_id=16122
This transmission has an ebrake drum on it.. im told it is used in motorhomes and ambulances
2/6/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand your issue. There are only 3 vehicle that will have this exact same transmission. Here, I am attaching the list of vehicles that you can use.

• Manufacturer

Number of Vehicles

• Ford

3

• Model

Number of Vehicles

• E350 Super Duty Van

1

• Vehicle

Year(s) - (Select to set current vehicle)

• 10 Cylinders S 6.8L FI SOHC

1999

• E450 Super Duty Van

2

• Vehicle

• 10 Cylinders S 6.8L FI SOHC

1998, 1999

You will only be able to use transmissions from these vehicles? Also, try checking car-part.com and lkqonline.com. You maybe able to locate the transmission here.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Is it possible there are other transmissions that i can use if i take my existing break drum "parts" and add the to another transmission? Someone suggested trading the "shaft" part out. Forgive my lack of knowledge.

Not a problem. I do not believe that is possible. If the transmission was not set up for these components, then the components would not be able to be adapted. I would suggest just having the existing transmission rebuilt, if you are not able to find another.

ok thank you. do you have a pdf of manual for this transmission so a rebuild can be done?
if i rate you now, does that end our communication?
also, the 3 vehicles you listed will be "plug and play" so to speak? everything matches up?

Rating does not end the conversation. Let me check for rebuild information. Also, yes, these three vehicles will be plug and play. Same transmission.

Here is the disassembly and assembly information.

ok.. this add for vehicle describes the transmission that appears to be the same, yes? https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-4R100-10-415-6-8L-FITS-99-FORD-E350-VAN-121078/162789353855?fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3AE-350+Super+Duty&hash=item25e700697f:g:TrEAAOSwH2VaJlgL&vxp=mtr
and this is also described as the same https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Transmission-4R100-10-415-Fits-99-FORD-E350-VAN-184160/122750059294?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160617090737%26meid%3D7af98cdafec74aa2b4924a80431047f3%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162789353855%26itm%3D122750059294&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851but my transmission looks like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-4R100-10-415-6-8L-4X2-W-O-PTO-With-E-Brake-AS-SHOWN-14183/201952754798?hash=item2f05527c6e:g:oWIAAOSwdOVaCBGt&vxp=mtr

Even though, they are advertised that they fit. I, personally, can not guarantee that these are the correct transmissions. Looks can be deceiving. You will need to contact the seller to be sure. Although, they look correct, except the one without the ebrake.

It seems as if nothing labeled as matching actually matches but, i assume every one i look at cant be like that so, i assume it is my error in searching. I understand you can not guarantee these examples as matches. would a vin help clarify what im looking for incase ive been mistaken all along?

The VIN would help ensure the vehicle, although, if this is the vehicle from the link then it will be the correct.

1fdxe47s8xhc24056im human, mistakes happen, i could be wrong about link. im confused on why i can find what i need by description. thanks for the help

That was the correct information. Here, is the information directly from the VIN. this information also includes part numbers.

Even this description doesnt show the brake drum.. so.. does that mean it can be added or is added as an after thought for specific vehicles? such as my truck?

This E brake can be removed and replaced, but it is on there. The pictures in the diagram will reflect the system. This vehicle has the transmission e brake and will need to be replaced with one that has the E brake. Here is the information so that you can see that this is the correct information. If you see a transmission without it, it has likely been removed and you will still need to attach one.

The E brake information is also from the VIN you provided.

ok so i can remove ebrake and add to another transmission if that transmission has the available bolt holes so the ebrake bolts up? is that the only way i can tell ?

Yes it is. If you purchase a transmission from either of the vehicles on the list i sent, you will be fine. These are the only three transmission that will work for your vehicle.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for walking me thru that! I appreciate your time and patience.

Anytime. I am always happy to help. Thank you for the rating. Have a great night.

this looks identical but is an 03.. is there a chance it will work? all bolt holes line up, it has ebrake, and all plugs line up
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/751767941678415/?ref=messenger_share

I can not advise that you get that transmission, because even though they look alike, if the torque and gear spec. are not correct, the vehicle will run bad.

What is the correct transmission fluid for the 4r100 E350

Good afternoon.

Automatic (4R100) .................... MERCON(R) V ATF

CAUTION:

Using a transmission fluid that indicates a dual usage MERCON and MERCON V in a transmission application requiring MERCON, may cause internal transmission damage. The use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission damage. Some fluid labels may indicate dual usage such as MERCON and MERCON V. These dual-usage fluids are not to be used in transmissions that use only the MERCON type fluid. These dual-usage fluids may be used in transmissions that require MERCON V use.

Capacities

A/T Fluid

4R100 .................... 15L (15.9 Qt)

Hi Todd,
I'm wondering, hypothetically, if I used the 03 and installed in the 1999.. and I changed the flywheel out..
Would everything else fit (minus the hear ratio, because u mentioned that)I understand you can not advise it.. but in a magical land where you can wing it..
Could this be done effectively? Hypothetically.

I am not 100% sure. Let me check into this and relay the information to you.

I should've said flex plate.. not flywheel.
"Flywheels are typically found on vehicles equipped with manual transmissions, while flexplates are used in vehicles with automatic transmissions. A manual transmission has a flywheel that is attached to the crankshaft and has a clutch disk in between the pressure plate and flywheel.Aug 1, 2014"