Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just rebuilt the alternator today went dead this past sat.

Customer Question
Just rebuilt the alternator...

Just rebuilt the alternator today went dead this past sat. now the battery light is staying on and gauges are flicking on and off along with inter lights when driving as soon as put brakes on and it get back to idle seems to be clearing up other in drive it over charging with factory gauge

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Brake fluid is up , cant tell your when it was laast change as brakes were done last year

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

99 f150 4.6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes doing it my self have changed batteries as was told could dead battery, look over and the wires that touch when changing out the alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should be it for now never changed out the plugs yet on alternator yet as have them but never had time to change them yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
1/24/2018
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! What reading are you getting when you check voltage at the alternator main output wire?

Don't have volt meter but factory gauge on dash is running almost in red. Outside of idle. Then maxing out as while step on gas.

we will need a voltmeter to diagnose this problem, do you have a friend that has one or can you buy one?

i do but it wont me till some time tomorrow , i more confused at what i did wrong right now as it should have been just easy change out less the 2 plugs that i ran out of daylight to change out
the abs light pop on after i had it running thinking the comp had to reset it self , and thinking a fuse blow for the interior lights aswell about same time

It sounds like the alternator may have been overcharging and blown a fuse, we will need to check a few voltages to confirm anything

will do it tomorrow and let you know which fuse should check out tomorrow

you want to check your main fuses in the underhood panel location everything over 30 amp

okay thanks will do it in day light and change out the plug end for the alternator aswell (black one and single grey one )

sounds good ill be around if you need anything

Seem to have fix issue for bit with changing plugs ends today and minor loose butend as it seem like it was charging. And took for test in the truck. Still haven't clue why it surge last night and blow 6 fuses along with brake Switch
Wasnt
Started overcharging. Again this evening once it warm up and didn't slow down charging.

have you thought about just getting a new alternator?

It was rebuilt my top notch shop locally Tuesday

ok but if its overcharging its not working right ? did you get another one from them?

Can the voltage Guage be faulty or lock memory that on the dash

it can be, if your getting a overcharging condition you need to check voltage at the alternator main wire, have you done this?

Not yet. Starter die last night. Will be changing it out tomorrow not surprised. It went just crazy timing

ok get that going and check the alternator and let me know ill be here tomorrow

update starter put in sunday alt test in truck monday after work at shop that rebuilt alternator, was over charging at 17 in idle not sure what iut was doing with thothled , rebuilt again as they said faulty regulator and something else installed yesterday seem to be working right for awhile , then the battery light came back on never had chance to get it back them yet as i had to pick up my son for the weekend the battery died as if again alt died again will be getting back to them tomorrow , as my other issues that i cant figure out wipers are dead right now and the 4+4 doesnt want to work now check fuses and replaced, along with dome/map light
figure out the low beam on head light burn both bulbs out along with fuses

they just need to put a new alternator in that thing and be done with it

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

hows it going?

hello?