Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 ford excursion 7.3 changed alternator because…

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 ford excursion 7.3 changed alternator because of low amp 12, changed out batteries ad replace battery cable . Put in new now alternator gets so hot you cannot touch it.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

Just replaced both batteries with new ones

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have a shop & my mechanic is been working on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is it so far

1/22/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

What is the voltage reading with the engine running if you check it on both batteries?

no loads on 13.8 turning loads on it drops to 12.5 and will slowly keeps decreasing the longer the engine runs. (loads front and rear blower motors and headlights on) tested alternator by running engine up to 2000 rpm checking voltage was at 14 turned loads on ran to 2000 rpm checked alternator output amperage it was at 90. alternator gets extremely hot within a few minutes when loads are on. have not had a chance to see what alt temp does with loads off. ran voltage drop on alternator b+ cable and ground circuit all below .2 volts.

It somewhat normal for the alternator to get to warm to hold on to it but the voltage dropping with the loads on is sure not normal. Are you sure the new alternator is not defective? Did you also do a voltage drop test on the charge wire from the alternator to the fuse link connections at the starter solenoid? The charge wire is the orange/black wire.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, Automotive Consultant
Phone call session started