Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0... High miles but

otherwise is running great. Two...
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0... High miles but otherwise is running great. Two questions - 1) The cruise control is intermittently shutting off. I am aware of the brake pressure switch issue, but the master cylinder on this truck looks different than the ones I'd seen affected (the brake pressure switch was mounted pointing up, whereas this one is underneath the master cylinder). I've attached pictures... Also, I've attached pictures of the replacement pigtail piece and was planning on installing... But wanted to confirm that my 05 Explorer would be able to utilize that pigtail piece (I'm surprised the recall wasn't done on this truck by now?) ... Also question 2) - My check advancetrac message is on, with with code C1998, and no other codes... Prior owner (who I just bought from) let it sit for a few months with no battery charge, also said he had cleared codes and afterwards the message popped up. No other codes present, ABS fine, 4WD fine, but I did have to replace a left front wheel hub to clear the ABS errors. My understanding is I need to have someone perform an IVD calibration... Can other shops do this besides Ford dealer? If so how would I request the service of a non-Ford dealer? Thanks so much!!.. Also, why is there no Ford selection in the categories dropdown ;)... That's odd.
IMG_3208.JPGIMG_3208.JPGIMG_3209.JPGIMG_3209.JPGIMG_3206.JPGIMG_3206.JPGIMG_3207.JPGIMG_3207.JPGIMG_3253.JPGIMG_3253.JPGIMG_3254.JPGIMG_3254.JPG
1/21/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

1998 does mean you need to have the ABC calibration done. Yes, this can be done outside of a Ford dealer as long as the shop has a diagnostic tool with this capability. You would need to confirm that with them before leaving your vehicle there.

When the cruise shuts off, must you press resume for it to come back on or do you have to press on then set?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

The cruise would shut off, and would not reactivate until the car was restarted (either 'set', or 'on-set' had no effect). Once the car restarts, it seems to work normally, until it cuts out again (requiring another restart).How would I request the IVD calibration from a non-ford dealer - is there another more generic way to ask for it (ABS calibration or something)? The couple of shops I've checked with said 'IVD' was a Ford thing... I just need to know how to ask for it.Thanks!
Also it seems odd that this truck didn't appear to be repaired with the pigtail... Were the 05 Explorers exempt from the recall for the cruise switch?
OK... Sorry for the confusion (I'm translating thru my daughter, who is driving the truck ;). More specific symptoms on the cruise: The cruise NEVER simply 'deactivates' spontaneously. Every scenario has been this: Cruise working fine on highway, then had to decelerate or slow down briefly for traffic, then when attempting to RE-ENGAGE, nothing happens no matter what is attempted. Not set, or on-set, or resume. No light, nothing. Each time this has happened, daughter has been close enough to home (within 5-10 minutes) that she did not re-attempt before shutting off the truck for the day. HOWEVER - my thought now is perhaps the brake switch under dash may be sticking... Making truck think brake is depressed (causing cruise to not engage)... Then after sitting for a while, the 'stuck' switch unsticks enough to work again. Again, apologies for the backyard-mechanic translation. Let me know what you think. Thanks Chris!

You would need to ask if they have a Ford scan tool called the IDS. If so then they can do the ABS calibration. No Ford vehicles after 03 had the brake switch recall. If you think the brake pedal position switch is sticking, that should result in the brake light staying illuminated. Is that the case?

The cruise issue has a good chance to be the PCM to blame. If you can do diagnostic steps when it will not work and before shutting it off then we can do some diagnostics at that point.

Not the brake pedal position switch - the speed control deactivation switch... There are two switches down there by the brake pedal. If the speed control deactivation switch we’re sticking, it would result in those symptoms (brake lights unrelated). Right?
Also I understood you didn’t have to have the actual Ford IDS to perform the IVD calibration... A non-Ford ship isn’t likely to have that (hence my question). How do I ask for the calibration in the non-Ford way (is there another way to describe that IVD calibration that non-Ford shops would understand)? Thanks...

A lot of independent shops have the Ford IDS. I have one in my garage now and one in my toolbox at work. You can buy them online. Correct some other tools can do this but I have no such list of those tools. There is no other way to explain the task that needs to be done. Yes, there is another switch on the brake pedal, however, I would find it hard to believe it is intermittently getting stuck.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Got it. Thanks for the help.

You are welcome