Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 05 escape 3.0 that while driving, the alternator…

I have an 05 escape...
I have an 05 escape 3.0 that while driving, the alternator will spike to 15.6,then drops back to 14.0. the blower motor speeds up and the dash lights get brighter. Is this a case of internal regulator failing?
Vehicle runs fine other then this.
1/21/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

My name is***** will be assisting you today. Do you have your VIN available? Have you ever replaced the alternator in this escape before?

1FMYU9135DA21548. Not to my knowledge has it been replaced

Give me a moment to research this.

Do you have any warning lights coming on when this happens?

no. codes are clear also. runs at 14 jumps for a few seconds to over 15v then back to 14v

The alternator in the 2005 Escape is module controlled. The module adjusts the alternator output to compensate for load and the electrical needs of the vehicle while driving. Per the Ford workshop manual if the voltage does not exceed 15.5V, the charging voltage is considered normal. If this is a new occurrence I'd be suspicious of the regulator. If not I'd consider this normal. It seems your voltage is just one tenth of a volt above normal. It's not out of the realm of possibility for the voltage to reach what you are seeing under normal conditions. If the module loses communication with the alternator the alternator defaults to 13.5V. You'd also get a warning light. The only thing that can cause the voltage to exceed specification is the regulator. If this is happening more than it has previously I'd suspect the beginning of a failure of the voltage regulator. If it doesn't seem to be getting worse I'd consider it a normal condition and monitor it.

is the regulator separate from the alt in this model?
And it just started this on Thursday last week

No, the regulator is internal and the alternator is replaced as an assembly.

With it just starting I believe you may need to replace the alternator. If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If you feel for any reason you cannot rate my service better than three stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician