Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can a failed/failing GEM cause a no start? 2 days ago I had…

Can a failed/failing GEM cause...
Can a failed/failing GEM cause a no start? 2 days ago I had a dead battery out of the blue. As soon as I hooked up cables I heard the AC blower motor going (keys were in my hand). Truck started normal and no abnormal idiot lights. Drove 30 minutes shut off truck and blower kept running so I switched the dial to OFF (fan only goes to LOW) and that stopped it.A few hours later I get in the truck and double check the blower and all seems normal now, truck starts right up.10 hours later parked, switch OFF so the fan doesn't kick on. Come out 2 hours later and turn the key and NOTHING. It acts like I'm trying to start it while I'm out of P or N. I jump the selinoid and am able to start the truck and drive home, again no abnormal idiot lights.I have also had issues in the past with the intermittent and low speed & park on the wipers, which I think is also GEM related.
1/21/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Yes the GEM can be to blame. This model has a common issue where the windshield leaks and water gets on and into the GEM and CJB. Can you look at both to see if there wet, show electrical issues, or if there is rust in the area?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Everything appears dry, but I know that it can be misleading. There is surface rust on the metal substructure that runs where your shins would hit, and the CBJ and GEM mount. I'll pull them tomorrow and try to see if there is anything obvious.If I buy a new GEM and match up the P/N is that enough? Does each GEM P/N correspond with the options a vehicle has? Or will I be forced to have my GEM programmed at a dealer?

That would be the next step, unbolt and unplug them. Remove both and take them apart to look for electrical arcing internal.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician