Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1999 ford windstar power steering replaced high pressure…

1999 ford windstar power steering...
1999 ford windstar power steering replaced high pressure hose pump made a lot of noise replaced oil and used vacuum pump to get air out then replaced pump still noisy then the new hose blew out my felling is I have a blocked hose or rack the low hoses at the ones car came with any hint on clearingthe blockage
1/20/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you remove the cap on the reservoir with the engine running does it appear that the fluid is flowing?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
not well when you turn the wheel some after some turning the steer well back and forth then the new hose blew between the hose and the fitting just like the one I replaced I have a lifetime on pressure hose pump and rack the return hoses I do not
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
when I was replacing the oil I did not have good floe all the time it stoped when we turned the wheel

Well that would sure indicate a restriction someplace and if it's not the hoses then that sure points to the rack.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
can I replace the hoses with plain rubber hose also if I change the rack do I have to have a alignment after
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I know the pressure hose I have to use the real one
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
wow your as early riser lol

The pressure hose has to be the correct pressure hose, normal rubber hose will not hold the pressure. The return line can be replaced with any good transmission rubber line. You can not use rubber line used for fuel delivery.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
if I test the system with a new return hose and I still have over pressure is there any way to clean the rack

If you have good flow from the return hose then the rack is fine. If you have no flow or low flow then the rack will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
do I need a alignment after I replace it

Yes you will need a toe set.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician