Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Overhauled it. now its time to put timing cover and cam

Overhauled it. now its...

Overhauled it. now its time to put timing cover and cam sensor on. just put it on and computer sets the rest? confused

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was your last oil change?

110k

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1994 mustang 3.8l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Bought it used. crank was destroyed. rebuilt crank rings bearings valve job

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont understand that sensor

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Do you have your VIN available? If so, please send it to me. You are asking about the operation of the cam sensor, is this correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
vin isnt handy. yes im too old. how does sensor set the spark timimg?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i need to keep sending money?

No, you do not. Other request are automated by the system. Please ignore them. The cam sensor does not set spark timing. On this engine that is handled by the crank sensor. The cam sensor sets fuel timing. You need to set the engine at top dead center (compression stroke) for cylinder number one. Then you will need the required timing tool to correctly position the cam sensor housing before installing it into the timing cover. This ensures proper fuel injection timing. Diagram attached. With the tool installed in the cam sensor housing you can install the housing into the timing cover. Then tighten the bolt to secure the housing.

The ford tool number is ***** The tool is available on amazon at https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6467-Camshaft-Sensor-Synchronizer/dp/B000IHJZP6

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks. crank sensor is behind the damper?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok now i got it lol thanks
if I can be of any further assistance please let me know. if I've answered your question please rate my service. Thank you for choosing just answer.

Please rate my service to complete our interaction. If you any reason you feel you cannot rate my service more than three stars, please let me know.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Michael
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician