Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My dad's car wont accelerate when he pushes on the gas. Not…

Customer Question
My dad's car wont...

My dad's car wont accelerate when he pushes on the gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Not a gas hog but he says it goes dead sometime when idle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Its a ford freestyle...not sure of the year

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Freestyle?

Not sure it may be a 2009

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Freestyle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it just happened today

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/20/2018
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 month ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Several things can cause this concern with your dads Freestyle.

It can be caused by poor fuel pressure from a failing fuel pump.

It can be caused by a clogged exhaust system, especially catalytic converters.

It can also be caused by the transmission.

But proper testing and diagnosis is the best way to locate the cause.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok.... my first initial thought was fuel pump, then transmission.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well he had it towed to a mechanic shop but they wont be able to get to it until Monday. They close early on Friday and not open over the weekend.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Your welcome.

More than likely it is a fuel pump, but have it tested properly to verify it.

A. Penland
A. Penland