Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I've got a 2003 e350 7.3 and there is zero power

Customer Question
I've got a 2003...

I've got a 2003 e350 7.3 and there is zero power electrically speaking. I've just replaced both batteries myself and have confirmed the battery connections are tight and clean. There is no power to anything though. I've also checked the fuses in both engine/cabin as well. Not sure where else to look?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Constant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read above

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I turned the key on, the dash lit up for a second and then everything went black/dark and there is 12.6ish at the batteries, but it does not seem to be getting to the vehicle

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/19/2018
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be assisting you today...

turn key to ON position and wiggle the key to rule out the switch

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just did that and got nothing. Also, I tested the cigarette lighter and there is no power there either. It always has power even without the key.
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago

check underdash fuses all of them and the underhood fuses

Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago

and any relay that is hot. also check if the relays power up ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if you mean by "relays power up ok" by clicking. I'm not hearing anything when I turn the key on. I've checked all of the fuses under the hood and most of the ones in the cabin. By most I mean, I could not reach a few up top that were 5's and 10's.
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago

take a few minutes and check the ones you cannot reach. try taking a flash light and inspect the fuses by looking to see if the filament is burnt

Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago

and connections on battery make sure post covers are not on and no grease is between the terminal and post.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've now checked all the fuses which are good. I've turned the key to the on position and checked the relays which are not hot. I checked the battery under the hood and it's clear and tight. I cannot reach the battery under the side door.
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago

do you have a multimeter or voltmeter??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not, but might be able to get one at home depot. What are you thinking?
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago

i would like to check voltages across power distributon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've got the multimeter, how do I test across the power distribution?
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago
I’m logging off now but we can talk tomorrow
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you transfer me to another?
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago
First get battery voltage
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
12.6
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago
Negative on battery and positive on starter solenoid
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand you are finishing up and I certainly don't want to take you away from your evening... do you guys transfer these issues or share them? As I mentioned I don't want to keep you from your evening.
Ford Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 1 month ago
I will opt out and I will check tomorrow if nobody has helped you I will come back and we will get it started thanks
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Would you like me to try and help?

Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN replied 1 month ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN
Phone call session started
Ron, ASE Certified Technician