Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2003 Ford F1 50 has about 12 different fault codes on my…

Customer Question
2003 Ford F1 50 has...
2003 Ford F1 50 has about 12 different fault codes on my scanner how can we determine if the ECM is bad
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
1/19/2018
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you clear all of these codes and then run the engine, which ones reset?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The following codes reappear after resetting and the ECM. See the attached photos with codes attached
4C12BDF9-4E27-40B3-BCC3...jpeg4C12BD...jpeg841DD26A-A243-46D2-9A43...jpeg841DD2...jpegDFD060F6-B1C4-4054-B6E0...jpegDFD060...jpeg39B0F1E7-A069-49AD-BE18...jpeg39B0F1...jpeg

All of the circuits for these fault codes share the same power source and that is the Fuse #23 located in the under hood fuse panel. Can you check it to see if you have power in and out of it? If you find the fuse is blown, replace it and see if it holds. If it blows again then you have a short to ground. To fix this, , inspect the wiring to the O2 sensors, transmission, canister vent solenoid, Vapor Management Valve , and EGR Vacuum Regulator looking for any locations where the Red/Yellow wire in the circuit may short to ground. Let me know the results and we can work from there if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
basically we checked fuse number 23 under the hood and it was missing I install the fuse and then check for power to both ends and it’s positive and I looked underneath the truck and the O2 sensor is not attached to the exhaust somebody took out one of the cats and put a straight pipe in there it’s short section and so the O2 sensors hanging so probably have to fix this first and then go from there but would be just the O2 sensor really cause that many codes to appear

What would cause this many codes would be the fuse #23 missing, this fuse is the power feed for the O2 sensors, transmission, canister vent solenoid, Vapor Management Valve , and EGR Vacuum Regulator and with out power to them you would get these codes.

These are Evap codes and one transmission code and one HO2S code. If the fuse is not blowing then they should be getting power now and these are fault codes and those would need to be addressed separately.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Ron for all your help so today I discovered that the transmission was not plugged in so there was a there’s a harness that goes there I plug that in and it doesn’t make any sense so somebody took out fuse 23 and disconnected the transmission which is really strange but anyway those are plugged in now I reset the The ECM to give for a test drive and it almost seems like it’s miss firing re-plugged my scanner back in and out all the codes come back again what should be the next procedure i’m not understanding your last statement where you said each code needs to be addressed individually or separately ?
802C6E6D-A750-4134-8704...jpeg802C6E...jpegF6FECF46-D07D-43ED-928C...jpegF6FECF...jpeg60CC4A72-2F41-480A-8202...jpeg60CC4A...jpegD066753B-A902-4A5D-9431...jpegD06675...jpeg45CF52E7-F44C-44CA-AD08...jpeg45CF52...jpeg

What I meant is now that you have power to these circuits and you only setting these codes then you will need to run the pinpoint steps for these. The common cause for the code P1452 it set is in most cases a failingCanister Vent solenoid 0r the circuit to it. P1451 indicates that the PCM is not detecting battery voltage at pin 67 at the PCM, which flows through the solenoid from the RD/YE wire onto the VT/WH wire and back to the PCM. The Canister Vent solenoid is located under the rear of the vehicle at the carbon canister. I have enclosed the testing steps in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6vxcuycq1a748k/P1451%20Jan%2024.pdf?dl=0

These other codes are all transmission codes indicating a lack of power to the transmission shift solenoids. In order to determine what is causing these codes, you are going to need to do some testing on them as well. See the steps in the link below and start your testing at Pinpoint test A1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6qxfebu5ir59rs/Shift%20sol%20Jan%2024.pdf?dl=0

Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician