Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1997 Ford F-250 Power Stroke diesel runs great until it…

My 1997 Ford F-250...

My 1997 Ford F-250 Power Stroke diesel runs great until it starts to warm up then it throws out a lot of white smoke that smells like diesel, and it will only run about 5-7 miles and then it blows white smoke again and then I have to let it cool down, then it runs good for another 5-7 miles and does the same thing over and over again, what could be wrong with it? could someone have put water in my fuel tanks?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes it used a a lot more fuel than it usually does and when it is cold it starts right up as usuall

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, except I pulled my air filter off of it to see if that was the trouble, but it did not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has always started and ran great since I bought it about 6 years ago

1/19/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Once it starts to white smoke, is it running like there is a misfire?

Any warning lights on or codes stored?

So far I believe this is a bad IDM that controls the injectors and it is from an internal issue with the IDM getting hot. Can you try cooling the IDM with an ice pack and see if that cures the issue.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

my ratings are very good for Chris, what is the IDM?

Injector driver module.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician