Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Got a 02 ranger edge 4x4 that today started a loud metal…

Got a 02 ranger...

Got a 02 ranger edge 4x4 that today started a loud metal sounding noise that got louder as I accelerated. and ideas? and possible cost to fix it?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Original trans and no havent checked the fuel filters.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have had major issues serviced but if I can do it my self I would like to save the money.

1/19/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

Hello, my name is Michael. I'll be assisting you today. Do you have your VIN available? Can you give me a general idea of where the sound is coming from? Do you only hear it while the vehicle is in motion?

It’s in the engine compartment. It’s gets louder as you accelerate. Vin is
1FTZR45E82PB63546

If I described the noise as a metallic rattle on acceleration when the engine rpm is around 2400-2500 would that be accurate? Do you hear it on light, moderate, or hard throttle?

That would be correct. Light to moderate throttle. Haven’t done hard.

This is a common issue on the 2002 Ranger. Based on the description of the noise you provided is sounds like the primary chain is rattling. Ford offers a repair kit for this. Part #2U3Z-6D256-CA. The kit is available online for about $180. The repair does require disassembly of the front of the engine and removal of the valve covers. It also requires specialized tools to time the engine after replacing the timing chain. The cost of labor would run around 9 hours at your repair shop's labor rate. I would estimate (guessing $100 per hour of labor) a total of $1200 dollars. I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Thanks. Sounds like a job for the shop. Too big for me.

You're welcome. If you need anything further don't hesitate to ask.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician

I'd like to thank you again for choosing JustAnswer.com. If I've satisfactorily answered your question please rate my services. If for any reason you feel like you cannot rate my service above three stars please let me know.

Michael
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician