Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Changed engine in ford escape hybrid 06. Got new engine

Changed engine in ford...

Changed engine in ford escape hybrid 06. Got new engine started, but get code 2104, some sort of idle limp mode. Shuts off after 2 minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

150k on the car, 60k on the new engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

"relearned" the throttle body

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really, not sure

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Did you get any trouble codes from the TCM (Transmission Control Module)?
​Make sure all the wiring connectors are plugged in around the transmission. The TCM is mounted on the top of the transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I'll check. But pretty sure all connections made

If the TCM sees a problem, it will set a trouble code and inform the PCM and the code P2104 is a result, along with the forced idle to protect itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can't check till the morning. Can I still reply then?

Yes, but I work at my dealership during the day. I am only on line in the evening after I get off of work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's ok, cool. Thanks

Your welcome. Talk to you tomorrow evening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forgot to mention, info screen says Regen blocked and also service brakes

Y​ou may have trouble codes in more than one module. You should have the complete vehicle checked for trouble codes. Not just the PCM and TCM.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was hoping to avoid that, but as a last resort I'll have it towed.

Did you replace just the engine or did you replace the engine and transmission as an assembly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just the engine, dropped the subframe and too it all out, then swapped engines

It is very possible you may have left something unplugged. I have done it and I have been working for Ford for 30 years.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Checked thouroughly for missed connections, but found none. I do notice the throttle body is whining when the key is in on position, sounds like it's trying to do something. Is that normal?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have done the HV battery recharge with that button by the driver's footwell with a charger on several times, I've also connected the negative battery cable to the positive terminal several times to "relearn" the throttle body as someone recommended. Just wanted to be complete.

What parts did you use from the used engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Throttle body, intake manifold, and oil filter housing.

Do you still have the original throttle body from the old engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No phone call, sorry, I'm in a movie. I may have the old one I'll check.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I can't back out of the call, let's make it tomorrow. Can't do it now

That is the website asking that, not me. It is automated. Check and when you can and install and retest.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do I'll write back tomorrow. Thanks

Your welcome.

A. Penland
Cary York
Phone call session started
A. Penland
A. Penland