Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Swapped the engine from a 1999 windstar to a 2002 windstar…

Swapped the engine from...

Swapped the engine from a 1999 windstar to a 2002 windstar now it does not crank engine turns over when I short it at the signal and power supply

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

It does not crank

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes checked all the fuses are good but will not crank over used the PCM from the 2002 model but still does not crank over will have to see if I am getting a signal down to the solenoid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No you can go ahead

1/18/2018
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

What does the theft light do when attempting to crank it over with the key?

Nothing getting no response on the theft light got a OBD 2 and checked for fault codes show nothing mechanic by trade so I need to now if i should swap the wiring harness as this was a swap for the best as the suspension was collapsing and the engine was not good anymore do I need to check for signal to the solenoid or do you think it is looking for the signal from the PCM ads the shift of the tranny is also needing to adjust due nto the fact it does not line up there was nothing wrong with the previous starting of the old engine neither when the engine that I have installed from the other vehicle

So right now you have the 99 harness and PCM installed? The theft light is completely dead, never lights at all?

No 2002 harness with 99 PCM but swapped the PCM as well and had no luck in starting the engine so do I swap the 99 harness back to the 2002 engine do I need to worry about the harness connecting to the vehicle in the engine bay at the brake servo connecting the tranny is the pin out different and there is no theft light flashing another fact do I need to get the key reset

PCM controls the starter relay on the 2002 by grounding pin 85.

Instrument cluster controls the starter relay on the 1999 by grounding pin 85.

The 1999 PCM will not work with the 2002 cluster. For the 1999 the cluster controls the pats system. For the 2002 the PCM controls the pats system. If you have 2002 harness, PCM, and cluster (all from the same vehicle) then the theft light should at least prove out. Do you have power on pin 86 of the starter relay with the key in the start position?

OK then you are saying that I should swap the 2002 cluster PCM and harness across if I were to swap the 99 harness do you think it would correspond with the engine or do I need to do the full swap accordingly

2002 vehicle, PCM, harness and cluster. PCM and cluster both have to be from same vehicle or they need to be programmed so the pats will work.

It is from the same vehicle so if installed then the PATS should work I will swap the cluster along with the PCM correct in saying that you should not have any problems as this will be a swap that it should correspond accordingly and I do not see that you should have a theft light flashing because it should correspond correctly as this will be a complete unit like it was before am I correct in saying that

You stated you installed the 1999 engine into the 2002. Isn't the original cluster still in the 2002?

No a 2002 into a 99 model because the 2002 model all rusted up and the 99 model is my sons vehicle all the cats has been cut out by the previous owner and the 2002 engine was rebuild with lower mileage

Ok if you go back and read your original post you stated "Swapped the engine from a 1999 windstar to a 2002 windstar"

So now you need to have the 99 PCM and engine/transmission harness and cluster in the 99 vehicle.

ok so I need just to swap the 99 harness over sorry for the statement regardless of that I need to keep the 99 with the harness and PCM along with the cluster correct

Yes that's correct. If it still doesn't crank after that then we will have to see if voltage is getting through the transmission range sensor to the starter relay.

ok do you have the wiring schematic for the 99 and 2002 model or do I have to download it from the internet

This is going to be many many pages to do diagrams for both years, they just show wire colors. I don't see how the schematic is needed just to swap out the harnesses. Should be pretty strait forward.

not what I am saying if it does not crank then I can start checking the pin out to see if that is the problem through the transmission range sensor accordingly

OH OK!

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

thank you will try accordingly

Your welcome

Hello again,
Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.
Thanks!
Kenny Z

Hello Kenny
I have now changed the following as the harness is not compatible with the 2002 engine due to a a valve situated on the front left side by the battery.In the interim I have changed the PCM,Body control module,cluster,inner fuse box along with the complete steering meaning complete ignition .When turned to the on position now I get the theft system light flashing which I assume is for the PATS.I have checked the relay for the start interactive relay and bridged the system so you get crank now but no start which is obviuosly a sign that it will not start to the fact of the grounding of pin 85 but will also not let the car start completely what is your thoughts on this do I have to get the system rest by ford fact is I do not really want to spent money as my son will only be using the vehicle to school and back.Can I fit a external relay to override the system or will the PCM not allow me to do that.Please advise on the possibility.Thanks

Is the theft light flashing fast or slow when attempting to start it?

Flashing fast when ignition is on

I don't see how this is going to work as the pats transceiver is hardwired to the cluster on the 99 and hardwired to the PCM on 2002. The PCM is never going to see the signal.

Reason why I am saying all has been build over so how can it not work if the cluster is also now 2002 along with the Pcm so should it not see the signal

But how is the signal getting from the key transducer to the PCM? Did you change all the body harnesses between the column, cluster and PCM? That 99 engine harness is the issue, no pats signal to PCM, it also has different pin locations for the transmission.

Ok I will transfer the harness across notice that the keyd ignition also has differrent wiring to ignition which is a pink wire

The key transducer on the 99 is hardwired to the cluster. For this to work everything on the vehicle needs to be from the 99 except the engine itself.

Will be building the engine harness over this weekend and see if I can get that engine to run although there is a differrent set up will take pictures and send the pictures through to you

OK sounds good.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech